Logo

Proper starting precedure for 2002 50hp Johnson

ghost

" Do you hold the key in prior

" Do you hold the key in prior to starting, do you press and turn to start, where should the throttle be at cold start.
Motor runs great and starts great when warm, but i have trouble getting it started cold. Currently i prime the ball, crack the trottle and hold the key. Takes allot of cranking to get it started. Once started I fast idle for about a minute or less and from then on it runs great. I tried different throttle positions but still have trouble starting cold. Suggestions please! "

"Treat the "Key In" &#

"Treat the "Key In" (priming) situation as a choke. Obviously a choke will only function when the engine is cranking over. Sooooo, hold the key in when cranking only if the engine requires choking (priming).

Normally, that engine should start within a half dozen revolutions.

If that engine is equipped with what is known as a "Fast Start" setup ie the engine runs at a faster rpm than normal after starting, up to when it obtains a certain temperture, then drops to a normal idel rpm... leave the throttle in a neutral and idle position.

If it does not have fast start, remove the hood momentarily to be able to observe the actual throttle linkage movement, then without putting the engine into gear, increase the throttle to where you can see an actual slight throttle increase at the engine linkage.

Assuming that you have compression and spark, if the engine is still hard starting, the carburetors may be fouled. If so, remove, clean, and rebuild them.

Joe
"

Comression is right on factor

Comression is right on factory spec and engine idles fine when warm and very quick starting when warm. Wouldn't fouled carbs also effect warm operation?
I keep feeling I am doing something wrong in my starting procedure. Could it be the plugs? They are a year old and I do not have auto oiling so maybe they should be replaced even though they look fine. Still looking!

Back