Logo

Proper heat range on Johnson 115

ira4bees

Can someone please tell me what the proper heat range should be when read from an infrared gun? I have a Johnson 115 1998 bubbleback. It seems to be a little hot when I put my hand on the heads.
Thanks

At idle or full throttle.----Have you replaced impeller every 5 years ?----Having issues with that crossflow motor ?-----Do a compression test for future reference.---Post the actual values here.

Both, idle and full throttle.
Just bought the motor so I don't know when the last time the impeller was replaced. Telltale pee is very strong.
Compression on all four cylinders is 110.

Testing in a bucket of water ?----Is the alarm sounding ?----Have you tested the alarm?---I would replace the impeller first.-----And if that is not the cure look into an item called a " divertor " in water jackets.-----There are 2 on each side found after removing a cylinder head.

Can someone please tell me what the proper heat range should be when read from an infrared gun? I have a Johnson 115 1998 bubbleback. It seems to be a little hot when I put my hand on the heads.
Thanks
The temps shown with an infrared heat gun can vary wildly, depending on where you aim the beam.
Best get an OEM shop manual. The older ones speak of using a calibrated wax crayon, & where to swipe it. My ‘94 manual states where on the cylinder head to measure temps.

Back