Logo

Prop shaft wont come out

Imzchef

1999 Johnson 90 hp. I am having trouble getting my propeller shaft removed. I Have the bearing carrier out no problem. The clutch did not come out with it. The reverse gear came out and looks great. When I pull on the shaft theres some play from all the way in to about 2 inches out and then it hits a stopping point no matter how hard I pull on shaft. Its hitting something metal. I thought the drive shaft must be in the way but as I look at videos the prop shaft can be removed without removing the drive shaft. All videos show the saft just pulling out once the bearing carrier is removed. What Im trying to do is get to my clutch. I have no forward gear. I have reverse but no forward. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

you need to remove the driveshaft and pinion gear to get the propshaft and forward gear out.you should get a service manual.

Ugh...was hoping not to have to do that. That in itself looks difficult without special tools. So the clutch dog doesnt come out either without removing the drive shaft. Im just trying to see why it wont shift into forward gear. Cables all moved correctly before I did teardown so I was thinking clutch is worn. Im going to check shift rod to make sure the cradle works shifting clutch from nuetral to forward etc. Thanks

you have to remove the shift rod also to remove the propshaft.will the clutch dog engage forward gear when you move the shiift rod?a worn clutch dog and worn lugs on the gear will cause it to slip out of gear on acceleration but it will engage at idle.

<p>
No special tools required !!----Just a 7/8 inch wrench on the nut.----Perhaps have your local shop help with removing the 2 large snap rings.----They do that in minutes for you.</p>

Last edited:
The clutch dog doesnt seem to engage into the forward gear at all. Im feeling some resistance in the shift rod not engaging totally with the clutch not moving it enough to engage with the gear. With the lower unit off and it sitting upside down to work on it. I removed the shift rod cover and I think the orings were inhibiting the rod from fully engaging. Or the shift rod wasnt adjusted correctly to move the clutch enough to engage the forward gear. I just worked with a friend on it and it seems to engage now with the cover off. I am going to order new orings and gaskets and put it back together and see how it shifts. I will have results by the end of the week. I will let you all know my progress then... I have also ordered a service and repair manual... Thanks all for your responses.

Back