Logo

Prop shaft seal spins with prop shaft

Did the seals on 83 Evinrude 35, even used some non hardening sealant and prop shaft water seal ( outer) spins when I turn shaft by hand? I think this may be a problem has anyone experienced this? I can see this thing burning up it appears to be seated all the way against the interior oil seal.

I would say you need to replace / shim / repair the bearing housing.-----Or perhaps it is a faulty / seal or the wrong seal.------Easy to figure out if parts were in my hands.

Both seals look identical, oil seal sits tight, possibly a defective seal made a millimeter smaller? I would of thought sealant would of stopped it. I was wondering when prop is tightened does prop washer hold it in place so it wont spin?

Nope----It is held in place by an interference fit in the housing.----They look identical .----But were they identical ?----Did you have to press the first seal in all the way ?-----And the second seal fell in ??----Part # number of seals or seal kit ?----Factory parts or internet " special deals " used.

Yea I tapped the oil seal in with a socket seemed to fit snug, water seal fits almost snug but spins with shaft. I would of thought non hardening sealant would of stopped this. I'm thinking about ordering a new seal and try that. Housing looks fine not cracked looks normal.

Used Locktite 638 made for press fit bearings /Sleeves/seals that fit loose into press fit applications. Can be removed later if needed this sealed and locked the water seal from moving has 4500lbs strength. Bearing carrier I'm sure a little worn but this saved me hassle of removing carrier and bearings and price of new carrier.

For seals that don't fit quite right, if no other solution can be reasonably found, I mix up a dab of JB Quick Weld and carefully glue it in place. This is also no problem if it has to be removed at a later date. I have even used JB for loose bearing races that have spun. "Glue in" a new race and it's "good to go". I'm talking even pinion gear races in dump trucks.

Back