Logo

Prop shaft repair Evinrude E90DPSLOR

grimesinma

Hi all,
The place that I have my boat stored says that the lower unit needs to be repaired as the prop driveshaft is bent. It is a 2005 or 2006 E-TEC 90hp. I see online that the shaft itself costs about $450. Any idea on how much the entire repair might cost? Since the prop shaft needs to be replaced anyway, what would be the consequence of just leaving it the way that it is and trying to make it another season? Since this is on a pontoon boat I mostly just putt around the lake at low RPMs and only use the boat a few hours a week. Thanks in advance for the responses.

What is the model number of your motor? "IF" the propshaft is indeed bent you dont want to run it that way you can cause more damage than necessary, maybe hire a mechanic to access the damage. If your not going to do the work yourself it can get a bit spendy but if not repaired properly the bill will get alot higher. It never hurts to get that second opinion.

Do you mean the model number given in the title (E90DPSLOR)?

Sorry didnt see it stareing me in the face on your intro. First confirm it is indeed the propshaft it takes a pretty good jolt to bend a propshaft you need to determine if any other damage occured. Did you hit a rock or something to make this happen?

Good question. I didn't notice it last season. Someone in the family must have driven it into some rocks and then didn't tell me. I didn't witness the damage myself. I am only relying on the information from the boat storage place.

No skeg damage, no prop damage, just a bent shaft? Strange. #1: Check the run out. Easily done without dis-assembly.
Since this is on a pontoon boat I mostly just putt around the lake at low RPMs

Depending on how much the shaft is bent you may be able to get by as is. #2: Again depending on the how much the shaft is bent it can often times be easily straightened within a few thousandths or better on a press saving some serious money.

Back