Logo

Prop Shaft: NS40D2 incorrect clutch splines

Brad_J

Hello! New here, and this is my 1st post. So, if this has been covered, please excuse me.

Long story short(ish):
My prop shaft was bent, so I bought a new shaft from a website I've used several times with no issues.

The new shaft seems fine in every way except one, the clutch splines. The outside diameter of the splines is smaller than the original shaft(see attached photos). The clutch will just spin around the splines with little to no contact.

I checked the shaft part# and everything seems accurate. Is this a case of discontinued parts? And if so, can I just buy a new clutch that fits the new shaft, ya reckon?

Returned the shaft, and was sent another. The new one delivered yesterday. It's the same wrong shaft, again. 😵

I did a deep dive into shafts for all year models close to mine (2001), and found what may be my issue. I think a previous owner has put a 2003 lower unit on this OB. The 2003 has the same part# shaft (3C8642110), except it ends with a "M" (3C8642110M). In photos, it looks like the only difference is the clutch splines diameter.

I have returned both shafts, and ordered the 3C8642110M from another website. Will report back when it arrives. Hope nobody else ever has to deal with this. So frustrating!

You are in error. The final M in the part number has no effect on the actual part. Tohatsu/Nissan OBs do not go by tear of manufacture... rather model and in some cases serial number.

You are in error. The final M in the part number has no effect on the actual part. Tohatsu/Nissan OBs do not go by tear of manufacture... rather model and in some cases serial number.
I'm sure your information is accurate, but why did I get the correct shaft when I ordered the one ending in "m"?

Pvanv, if I post my serial tag, would you be willing to look up the part and see what you come up with? Because if there's something I'm missing, I'd like to know.

3C8642110M is the correct part number. Same as without the M. They must have shipped the wrong part before.

Back