Logo

Prop question on 9.9..plastic thing

I have a 1975 Evinrude 9.9 you guys probably already know that cuz you just helped me quite recently and I appreciate that very much.

I did have a question however what is the purpose of the white plastic ring on the end of my propeller?

It seems like it's funneling water from around the prop to mabey break up the exhaust bubbles? Or something like that....
But my wondering is if I take it off what happens?
Mabey cavitation?
However it's like 3/8 inch wide ring on my prop that also would logicly
Add unessesary drag and reduce speed....

I've seen props with and without.... And ones that flare out instead....
Any chance someone had a good understanding of the purpose..

I don't want it on there if it doesn't need it.... I run in very shallow water
Sometimes and it's just brittle plastic just waiting to be a problem if it breaks off while running.... It's already chipped a bit just from moving the motor to the boat and house... I don't have a trailer for it.... It's a small 12 ft aluminum 1232 fish master from Walmart about 18 yrs ago

It is called a ----" converging ring "--------It makes the prop look pretty.-------Perhaps it involves getting aroound patent infrigement ??-------Motor will run just fine without that ring.

And in "converging", it is designed to funnel the water and exhaust into a smaller area to keep it from blasting all over the place. I have no idea if it works or not. However, as racerone states... the engine will run fine without it.

It just makes me feel like it couldn't really help anything other than creating a little bit of drag that's unnecessary....
It makes sense to use it to get around a patent...

By the way... My prop is 9.5x9 I believe.... I was wondering if there's a prop with a bit more pitch.... Get a lil bit more speed mabey?...
My prop is pretty much beat up... Knicks and stuff.
I get on plane in about 20 feet Max.... Tops out in 5 to 7 seconds...
If I were looking for a bigger pitch and on a budget.... What y'all think?
I'd like to mabey go to a 11 mabey 12....
Lack of power is no problem at all so I think I'd be OK losing a bit of hole shot in search of some more speed. I'd love to get in the 30s.... I'm at about 22 mph now....

Oh yeah.... I wanna eventually get a bigger carb body... So I will be getting a lil more power in the future... I don't wanna do the tuned exhaust unless I get a really good deal on it...
So I'd bump mabey another 2 to 3 HP...
Stock I'm revving up about 5500 to 5800... Best guess without a tach.... I been a motor head for 3 decades... I can just hear about how many rpm....

...but nothing sounds like my gfx 600 bike at 15500 rpm... With straight carbon pipes.... Lol

Back