Logo

Prop for standard shaft 270 outdrive

am_dew

Advanced Contributor
I am looking for a spare 14x19 LH prop for my standard shaft 270 drive and not having much luck. I thought a Solas Amita 8712-145-19 would work but I called Solas and they sent me a few pics which show that there is a flange which encircles the hub and is about 3/4" higher than the end of the hub itself. This won't work with my setup because I have to use te setup where a lock tab washer is used as shown below and the raised flange will not allow me to access the tabs on the lock washer (F) and bend them into the spacer (C).

Does anyone know of non-OEM prop that will work on the standard shaft 270 drive?

standardhub.gif

Last edited:
You are having trouble with the long hub prop, because your early 270 prop shaft is not internally threaded for the Spinner locking bolt.
This is why you need to be using the short hub prop so that shaft splines are exposed for the locking tab washer.

BTW, there is no std or non-std prop shaft.
The line cutter/spacer renders the same net exposed prop shaft with any of the single prop drives.
250/270/275 all use the short spacer.
280/285/290/SP and on, etc, all use the longer spacer.
Again, the net shaft length is same.

AQ series prop/hub/shaft/spacer questions/answers here.

Thanks Rick...always appreciate your help and insights. I have the proper prop mounting hardware for my drive, just need to find the right prop. :)

Thanks Joe. I never thought about using an offset screwdriver. No matter now...I just now got lucky and picked up a new Quicksilver 14x19 LH short hub on eBay for a real good price.

Just went back out to check the size of mine. It's actually a 14.5" x 17 pitch. My boat is a little on the heavy side since I used 3/4" marine ply when rebuilding the deck and transom. I top out at 5000 - 5300 rpm and 30 mph with 4 *****s onboard. I'm thinking that if your boat is lighter, it should easily handle a 19" prop.

Congrats on the good find!

Yea, my boat works real well with a 14x19...WOT @ ~5100 at about 35-36 mph with 2 good sized *****s on board, comfortable cruising at 4600 rpm and ~28029 mph. I sacrifice some hole shot with the 19 over a 17, but that does not matter to me as I rarely pull any skiers or tubers, mainly we just cruise and fish. Engine is a rebuilt AQ130C.

I have several good 2.15:1 lower units that are internally threaded, one is a 290 lower.
They don't bring much, so I can sell them cheaply, if interested.
This would allow you to use the long hub, as long as you use the two pc spinner.... aft-most section only, and w/ the locking bolt.
This opens up more prop options for you.

Thanks Rick but I'm going to stick by the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" now that I have a spare 19 pitch prop.

Back