Logo

Prop for 1985 AQ270 sterndrive

Hello,
I have Bayliner '85, engine AQ125A, sterndrive Aquamatic 270 , short hub, I need new prop size 14x17 or 14x19 , 17 spline, but I don't know if SOLAS prop will fit to my drive with short hub.

Re: Prop for AQ270 sterndrive

I'm hoping that Andrew does not mind me sending you to the Vault re; "Long hub -vs- Short hub props", rather than me typing all of this out for you. You'll find that I've explained this fairly thoroughly.
I've done same linking to ME.com.

Nut shelling it..... long or short hub prop is not the issue.
The concern is that the correct spacer/line cutter be used for the drive (in your case, the short one), and that the correct spinner (aka cone nut) be used for a given prop hub (2 pc spinner -vs- 1 pc spinner).

Your 270 prop shaft will not be drilled and threaded for the locking bolt..... which makes this an issue with some long hub props.
A 275 prop shaft will be threaded. (1985 should be a 275)

NOTE: Some of the large blade props may interfere with the 270 exhaust outlet/flapper housing.... 275 is set further AFT.

Last edited:
Re: Prop for AQ270 sterndrive

Thanks Ricardo,
My prop shaft is not drilled and threaded, so the drive certainly is 270.
and I hope if I buy solas prop 8712-148-17 short hub it will fit to my drive

The short hub prop is never the issue.

Remember that there are both Long/Short hub props that offer the three slots as to bend the tab washer. Conversely, there are props that do not have these slots.
The Spinner becomes the issue if the long hub will not allow for the tab washer to be folded into the spinner's castellated cuts.

If the tab washer cannot be used, then the keeper bolt must be used.
As you see, there are no threads in a 270 shaft.
Bummer!

The short hub prop is never the issue.

Remember that there are both Long/Short hub props that offer the three slots as to bend the tab washer. Conversely, there are props that do not have these slots.
The Spinner becomes the issue if the long hub will not allow for the tab washer to be folded into the spinner's castellated cuts.

If the tab washer cannot be used, then the keeper bolt must be used.
As you see, there are no threads in a 270 shaft.
Bummer!

I can attest to the fact that there are props that do not have the slots needed to be able to bend the tab washer. I have one which I bought as a spare for my 270 off of eBay not realizing that it would not work on my drive unless it had these slots. I was thinking of using a Dremel tool to cut slots but I have hesitated to do so not knowing if doing that will mess up the prop's balance.

Ooopps, I have a correction to make.
The tab washer can not be used on the long hub prop...... there are NO extended splines for the locking tab washer to index to.... and the AFT-most part (of the 2-pc spinner) does not offer the castlelated cuts.

This should read:
The Spinner becomes the issue if the long body, of a short hub prop, will not allow for the tab washer to be folded into the spinner's castlelated cuts.
Either the 1-pc spinner, or the FWD part of the 2-pc spinner, offer these tab cuts.

Sorry about that!

I see no issues with cutting the slots if need be.

Back