Logo

Prop for ‘96 Intruder 150

kevinj

Advanced Contributor
I have a ‘96 Evinrude intruder 150 (E150GLEDB) on my Ranger 461 VS. The engine is a 20” mid section and has a lightning gear case that some previous owner installed.

Currently I have a Shooter 4-blade cupped prop that is 13 1/4 x25. Usually I can get about 4700 RPM and 45 MPH but in a little bit of chop that will creep up to 5,000 RPM. I haven’t checked compression or spark but the engine runs smooth with no hitches and that RPM and speed has been the best I can do in the 5 years I’ve owned the boat.

Im thinking I should probably drop down to a 21 pitch prop. I’d like to hear suggestions on prop brand, 3 or 4 blade, and pitch that I should try. I’m not a speed chaser but the boat definitely isn’t performing at its best and I want to prop the engine so it isn’t lugging.

thanks,
KJ

The Lighting gearcase hurts ya as it for boats above 70MPH. The nosecone unit when used at low speeds will actually drag rear of the boat down slowing ya. A good 22-24 pitch prop is a start ...

Thanks guys. I hadn't thought about buying a cheap aluminum to test then go from there. That's a great idea.

I remember you mentioning the performance issues with the Lightning gearcase a couple years ago when I was tracking down shift rod problems. At this point I doubt that I'll swap out the gearcase for a standard unit, so I need to try and make this one work. If the Lightning turns out to be a huge problem then I'll think about finding a different unit. The trick is buying a used unit is a bit of a crap shoot of whether I'll get a good one or a polished piece of junk. Right now mine works perfect with no leaks!

What about 3-blade versus 4-blade? I'm not sold either way just looking for opinions. Again, I'm not looking make this a HiPo setup, just wanting to be sure the performance is optimized.

So Raker is the brand of choice? I know the basics on props but have not spent a lot of time learning the market so I really don't know the pros and cons of any brands.

Thanks.

Back