Logo

Problems with my 2012 Honda BF150

Hondaproblemman

Hi,

I've been having some major issues with my engine but no luck figuring out the problem.

I have a 21feet(6,35m) 1870 pound (870kg) 2012 year model aluminum (Buster) boat. When brand new the boat did 50mph (44knots) now I'm having issues hitting 30mph.

The boats hull is clean and has no defects. I've had a Honda marine tech come out with me on a ride and he had his laptop connected to the motor, he said everything seems fine but for some reason you're missing about 20mph. The engine was firing on all cylinders and rpms were over 5k on full throttle. Since then, they've had it in for service and nothing has been found, the engine also sounds fine. The propeller is factory that came with the outboard and boat.

Any guesses on what may be wrong or has anyone had similar issues?

Kind Regards

You should be getting close to 6000 rpm at full throttle. What year is the engine?

Do you have new fuel? Is it ethanol free? What octane?

Did your service person do a compression test? He should have. If so, what were the numbers for each cylinder? Also a leak-down test.

Pull the plugs and see if they have a light brown coating, which they should have. If they are sooty, you may have a fuel feed problem of an HO2 sensor problem. If one or more plugs are very clean, then you may have a different issue.

You should be getting close to 6000 rpm at full throttle. What year is the engine?

Do you have new fuel? Is it ethanol free? What octane?

Did your service person do a compression test? He should have. If so, what were the numbers for each cylinder? Also a leak-down test.

Pull the plugs and see if they have a light brown coating, which they should have. If they are sooty, you may have a fuel feed problem of an HO2 sensor problem. If one or more plugs are very clean, then you may have a different issue.
I think the tech said max rpm were 5280/5380 on our run, can’t remember which it was. It's a 2011 model with 670 hours on it of which 100 were on idle. The fuel is new, and I've always used 98 octane, I think that is equivalent of 93 in the US.

He did not check the compression, he said there was no need since everything on the ECU was reading fine. And I didn’t ask for anything specific to be tested since I’m not really that good mechanically.

I'll try and check what you've suggested by myself and see if I can find anything, thanks for the reply!

I don't think low compression will throw a fault code to the ECU unless it is extremely low and trigger an alarm from the HO2 sensor.

Let us know what those plugs look like. Better yet, post pictures.

Back