Logo

Problem with RPMs going up one it's own when it hit 4k rpms or higher.

daxjames2008

TJ40ELETB

Problem with RPMs going up on their own. While on muffs testing to see how the motor ran with the part I made to replace the part that connects the timing armature (not sure if my wording is correct) to throttle linkage. Cranked up great, rpms on muffs was pushing a hair over 1000 so I'm guess around 1100 rpms at idle. Took the timing gun out and checked timing, it's hitting at TDC, but the book says it should be at -4* but it's on muffs with no back pressure so I didn't want to attempt to do any calibrating on the timing till I got to the lake... Well when I slowly started giving it throttle and watching my butterfly, I advanced the throttle ever 1000 rpms and let it sit to see what it does. Everything was smooth till it hit 4k rpms, it sat at 4k rpms with 3/4 of throttle opened, and the rpms flew to 5500, then kept increasing to 6k to when I pulled the throttle back to keep it from going any higher.... I did see some oily fuel coming out of the front of the carbs, I'm thinking Reed valves... Would this be the right direction to go? It cranks really easy, on the first turn of the key... Idles with no sputtering or wanting to shut off, even accelerates smoothly...

Never rev it up over 2K without a load...you can break piston skirts and sling rods!!!! Dont do anything till you run it on the trailer in gear backed in water

Back