Logo

Problem! Unsure what to do. 1993 4.3L

Luciano

Hi guys, Im new to forum, lots of great information, really helpfull!

I however need to ask some help now,

I just pulled into my cottage after coming from the launch, and noticed a cloud of oil behind the boat. jump out and check, and found the drive dipstick loose,

i have no idea what drive it is, not even sure of engine, boat is 94 Wellcraft Excel. 4.3 volvo engine, drive says SP CD Trim.

i was planning on pulling boat out of water to drain oil, but im not sure what oil i need to replace it.

To top it off i just had it in shop to do the bellows and they drained oil and filled oviously improperly. they said the bearing on the pds were sealed type if that helps.

thanks guys

thanks guys.

Re: Problem! Unsure what to do.

You need to get the boat back out of the water, not by driving it either. Drain all the fluid out of the drive and replace it with motor oil. The dipstick has a flat spot on the very end of it and the fill point is up 3/4 of the way on the FLAT spot. Make sure the dipstick and drain plug have their o-rings on them.

Great thanks alot for your comment, did exactly that, just wondering what type of oil i should be putting back in.

thanks again

Any motor oil will work. In the early days V/P said 20/50wt would work just fine. My shop goes by whatever you put in the engine, put in the drive. This is for AQ series drives which you have. 10/30 is fine also. When you drain the drive look for signs of water and if you do see some that came OUT of the drive not off the drive, you may want to fill with new and after a few hours run time change it out again.

Thanks Alot i appreciate you help, will change the engine oil and drive oil this weekend.

Thanks everyone great site!

Hey guys
late reply but i did exactly what you said, towed it out,drained checked all looked good, replaced with 10w30, and enjoyed the rest of my summer!

thanks again guys for the great help and amazing site

Luciano, if this drive is similar, you have what would be considered one of the last AQ series drives..... the Good Stuff, BTW.

attachment.php

Be certain that you replace both O-rings when you change this drive oil.
O-rings should NEVER be re-used!

A commnent regarding the PDS bearing, if I may!
If you have not changed this bearing since your ownership, I'd strongly encourage you to do so!
The resulting damage from a failed bearing will be expensive, to say the least!
Please trust my experience and advice on this!

This is a single bearing PDS, which means that the PDS will come out AFT (baring no corrosion issues)
A sealed bearing must be used in this application!
Cheap at approximately $14-16 for a replacement.... SKF, KOYO, any high quality brand!
It can be purchased through a major bearing supplier. No need to buy the OEM $$$$$$!

Last edited:

i have been doing alot of research on here about changing out the pds bearing and since im there i would also like to change the crosses. from what i have read it seems pretty easy,i just dont understand the two seals that you have to cut out, also if the pds bearing will stay on the shaft or if it stays inside, and you say will come out "aft" what do you mean by this, im new to all the terms but i am pretty mechanically inclined.

i have been doing alot of research on here about changing out the pds bearing and since im there i would also like to change the crosses. from what i have read it seems pretty easy, i just dont understand the two seals that you have to cut out, also if the pds bearing will stay on the shaft or if it stays inside, and you say will come out "aft" what do you mean by this, im new to all the terms but i am pretty mechanically inclined.
OK, fair questions:

On your 94 4.3 volvo engine, SP CD Trim, there is a good chance that your PDS uses a single bearing. Since this is NOT serviceable, it will be a "sealed" bearing!

When we talk boats, we talk Port/Stbd, Fore and Aft. There is little confusion if we speak this language.

So, when I said that the PDS comes out AFT, it means just that!
It is removed from and towards the rear of the boat!

The bearing will be removed with the PDS, as it will be locked onto the shaft with a small snap ring!
It will then re-install with the PDS.

I don't recall saying anything about "the two seals that you have to cut out".
There will be one AFT-Most seal that will need to be sacrificed, in order to access the large snap rings.
This seal will need to be replaced.

Hope that helps!

Back