Logo

Problem solved (hopefully)

floater1

Regular Contributor
I was beginning to lose hope that I wasn't going to be able to trouble shoot and fix my tilt and trim not working. Details in this thread:

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?t=380242

Studying my manuals was only semi-helpful but the advice from you all here really helped me understand my particular OMC model. Today I sat there and thought to myself how complicated can this really be? Well to this point I believed it pretty complicated and was losing hope of fixing this myself. My goal was to not only do it myself but keep it out of the $100/hour marine service shops. Well I started at square one today again which was re-tracing the wiring under the dash which is not that easy to do everything being zip-tied and weaved together tightly. Prior to this I was focusing on the wiring on and around the engine and solenoids. I pretty much exhausted all my options back there as everything was working and hooked up as it should be. Well I had checked all the fuses under the dash (about 6) and they look good. No corrosion or anything. No frayed or split wires either. Then I found a plug under the dash (under where the steering wheel is). For some reason when I did my wiring/fuse/connection check before, I had missed this particular one. So today I unplugged it and it looked good inside, the prongs were not corroded or anything. Being it looked good I simply reconnected the male and female ends. It was at this point my uncle tried the tilt switch and it worked!!! I crawled out from under the dash in disbelief and the tilt was now going up and down no problem! I tried the separate trim button and that worked also! I couldn't believe it. Simply unplugging a connection and reconnecting it and my tilt and trim now work? What I'm still kind of baffled about is that I never saw this particular connection in any wiring diagrams I studied. Maybe its listed in some diagram and I missed it. Here is a pic of the connection (black plug)in question. View is looking up from underneath the steering wheel. The connection has 3 wires running through it which you can't really see from this angle: green, brown, and white:

389507363.jpg

FYI, the blue and purple wires you see running next to this connector (but not through it) come out of the actual tilt switch itself mounted on the control panel just beneath the throttle.

I'm assuming this issue is fixed but if the problem returns I am a little more familiar with this OMC design being my particular model is now 32 years old:D. I'm really glad I didn't have to pay some marine shop hundreds of dollars when I could do it myself.

Just wanted to let you all know that your help here does really pay off and I certainly appreciate that!

Great News.

The Manuals don't usually show plugs where wires join, apart from the actual plug on the switches, etc.

A lot of times, simply unplugging and re-plugging will solve problems of internal corrosion, especially after long times of non-use.

Bruce.

PS. Now, you are a Marine Electrician.:D

Back