Logo

Problem Finally Solved! 2 coils with broken magnets - can I epoxy as a band aid repair?

FstaRockr Burns

Regular Contributor
after headscratching the past few days regarding intermittent spark and motor failure - opened my coils and found 2 coils with broken magnets-

The #3 coil had its magnet broken right on the grounding strap - and that one ran the worst, fouling up and dropping spark at idle.. #2 cyl ran ok - its magnet half on the grounding strap was fine - but the other half (not connected) was cracked - no wonder my plugs were getting worse from 2-3!

Is it possible to glue the magnet temporarily? 2 days left and want to ski! If the local chap doesnt have spares of course - otherwise I will put the good magnets for each coil on the grounding strap and the cracked ones on the bottom half and see how it runs..

Also - i was told there should be a grounding wire connecting the 2 magnets - but all i saw was what looked like adhesive tape with fibers running down (for strength?) - nothing metal at all there.. should i ground the magnets with a thin or what?

here is the broken magnet and the other (good) half -

20160415_124346.jpg

I believe you can't bond them together and have them work correctly. You need a one piece magnet vs two smaller pieces.

Jeff

Found 3 of the 6 magnets cracked.. put a good one on the grounding side of each coil and the glued magnet on the 2nd half - motor sounds very peppy, and zero misfiring anymore! havent tried running full - waiting for sun to warm up then ill report back - we are in the sticks here, have to make a plan! not even traffic lights, but they have superglue!

To add, the magnets come split in the middle IE each coil has two identical magnets.. Tightening the coil housing is what can easily crack these..

Taking boat out now, will report back how she runs..

These are not magnets, they are powder formed ferrite cores and the tape is just that, fiberglass tape to hold cores in place.

These are not magnets, they are powder formed ferrite cores and the tape is just that, fiberglass tape to hold cores in place.

ok so motor ran bad - despite my hopes glueing it would help it along - sooo, replacement? or can i perhaps mould a new set from ferrite material? just thinking outside the box here -

what exactly does it do - apart from weak blue spark when cracked? :p

Also - is it possible to use any coil on the ignition system? these things are super brittle and crack easily - curious if i cant fit an aftermarket coil without these ferrite thingies inside them..

?? maybe a 2 stroke bike coil - i know a chap used yamaha bike coils on his yamaha outboard..

Last edited:
That little piece broken off wont cause your problem. How do you know its weak if its blue??? Did you DVA test the output from switchbox??? Have you swapped coil to different position and tested motor? Did you take a timing light a verify that cylinder is missing?? I have seen ton of these with broken cores and run fine.

That's very odd.. Boat ran fine 2 weeks back when I got it.. Was regrounding coils when I heard a super light crack..

Don't have dva, but checked timing light, cyl 3 was missing at idle.. After gluing boat still ran bad despite the miss being gone.. Just much less power..

Super bummed about it :( was so amped to have it back up and running.. Struggled with link and sync to find throttle had jumped the bearing.. Couldn't get full distance.. Anyway, after fixing that back on water, same story.. Makes this gargling missing sound mid throttle and does half the speed...

When I checked spark it was blue on tip.. Not yellow.. At the grounded plug that is..

Here is the first ride 3 weeks ago..

And here it's running yesterday..

Both full throttle.. Stumped.. I did break advance arm under fly wheel but epoxied it back, still holding and working fine.. Set Max timing at 28 cranking as per manual..

Last edited:
Index the flywheel and check timing on all 3 cylinders.

Hi, did that.. Double checked again.. Odd cos #1 fired right, but 3 didn't show the same reading.. Couldn't see firing mark on 3.. One was at 7 degrees btdc on idle..

3 was firing cos light was flashing.. Idled OK too..

First of all, buy and install some NGK BP8H-N10 plugs (that you can read colors from). Pull the plugs after running it hard (do NOT let it idle) and see what you find.

I time mine at 21.5 degrees WOT with a light. (I remove the top carb throttle linkage so I can hold it wide open.)

Jeff

Back