Logo

Problem adjusting shift cable 1997 Ocean PRo

dingbat

I installed a new shift assist

I installed a new shift assist switch and now I can’t get the shift cable adjusted correctly do to the repeatability of the positioning.

When shifting from reverse to neutral it centers up nicely and the switch isn’t activated. But when shifting from forward to neutral the cable does not move back far enough and the switch stays activated from time to time. I tried centering up the cable but it appears that I don’t have enough length left to do so. I can see the cable stretching but not shrinking such as it seems to have done.

It worked previously so I’m wondering if something slipped on the connection to the shift shaft or if the problem is originating at the helm. There is no play at the helm when going from neutral to reverse but there seems to be a good inch of slack in the cable going forward. Is there a way to center the travel at the helm?

The helm is an OMC binnacle control circa 1997

"center shift linkage,in neutr

"center shift linkage,in neutral,w/control in neutral,inst cable,pulling on blk barrel,adj to fit into connector,grease,ck shifting,adj as neccessary..lube shift sw area's of contact.."

Back