Logo

Previously Good Running 25hp Mercury Won't Start

mmtilton

I have a '03 25hp Mercury that ran great up until a couple of weeks ago. The starter had started to go bad but the motor still would start and run great. The last time it ran, when I got out on the lake I cranked it over a pretty good bit before it started. Unknown to me until later, the gas line was drawing air through a bad spot in the line (now fixed). Once I got it started it ran fine but each time I started it the same thing happened...I had to turn it over pretty good to get it to start. After going through this scenario about 6 times and I was cranking it for the last time to head to the launch, the starter seemed to start dragging. I let off the start button (on tiller handle) and then it wouldn't do anything. No sound at all when the start button was pushed. I have now replaced the starter, the starter switch, and the solenoid with no change. It WILL start when I jump across the solenoid posts, but still nothing when the starter button is pushed. I ran a test light (not a voltage meter) and had current all the way to the rectifier. My question is...if I fried the rectifier, would that keep the motor from starting? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Main fuse on the motor or neutral safety switch. Probaly wrecked the starter with all that cranking probably blew the fuse the last time. Have you had it running at all with the pull starter

Thanks flyingscott. I have not had it running by the pull start since this problem arose. I have searched for a fuse to check but have been unable to locate one. I thought there was one on this motor, just haven't found it. I don't have a service manual. Really thought this would be an easy fix...

the fuse on these is usually located by the rectifier the neutral safety switch is usually on the shifter mech under the hood

Flyingscott, thanks for your help! your first answer was right----it WAS the neutral safety switch. I finally had time to check it out today and had ordered a switch some time ago. I replaced it and the engine fired right up. Thanks again!

Back