Logo

Power trim shudder - 90HP 4-stroke Merc

Georooney

On the first trip out this year, I discovered that the power trim won't trim down while the boat is on plane. There's a shudder that you can feel throughout the boat. If I slow the boat down, the motor trims down just fine like it's supposed to.

I checked the fluid level after the boat was back on the trailer; it was fine (to the bottom of the fill hole, as per the manual).

I trailer the boat, and at the boat ramp I didn't personally let the motor down off the manual tilt lock lever, and I'm wondering if the guy who did accidently tried to lower the motor against the lock and damaged something? Could that have blown an o-ring or something? One would hope that Mercury would have the power tilt protected against such things. And anyway, isn't that what happens each time you trim the motor all the way down until it stops?

Any info, suggestions, similar experiences are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Me too....seems no takers, tho. :\

Someone said that (using) regular grease on the tilt tube cakes up and prevents the motor from tilting smoothly. I'll try flushing the grease with new stuff and see what happens. Report to follow..... :)

Bump

I'm pretty interested to hear more about this....

I think the "shuddering" indicates air in the system somewhere, are you leaking fluid anywhere that would let air in?

Back