Logo

Power to positive bus

smitair17

Contributing Member
"Is it common to be able to tu

"Is it common to be able to turn on lights as soon as the battery switch is on, or is it usually when the key switch is on? If its when the key switch is on, what wire goes from the switch to the bus bar giving power to everything? Right now, I have a the common wire from the battery switch (the both wire) connected to to positive bar....is this correct?"

"So it's common to be able

"So it's common to be able to turn the running / anchor lights on when the battery switch is turned on, with the key switch off?"

You need to be able to run an

You need to be able to run an anchor light while moored at night if in a traffic area to prevent collision. You don't want the engines ignition live all night just to run this light.

"So it's common to be able

"So it's common to be able to turn the running / anchor lights on when the battery switch is turned on, with the key switch off?

Your answer is yes"

Another reason for NOT having

Another reason for NOT having accessories wired to the ignition switch is that the ignition switch is powered thru one 20 amp fuse which would blow when overloaded...... and you lose everything.

"The reason I asked is because

"The reason I asked is because I installed a stereo, and it didn't go off when I turned the key off."

"If wired into the "A"

"If wired into the "A" terminal of the ignition switch, it would have gone off when the key was turned off, BUT wiring it thru a separate fuse panal is the best way to go."

"My stereo and amp is wired in

"My stereo and amp is wired into the fuse panel and a seperate switch on the side of the dash panel. Every device (sounders, VHF, stereo, auto pilot, downriggers, trim tabs etc etc )on my boat is wired onto its own dedicated circuit with its own recommended fuse. This is the best way to protect all your equipment from eletrical harm."

"Yes, however, all electronics

"Yes, however, all electronics hooked up in my boat have an in line fuse, so why would I hook it to another fuse? Also, unless each individual electronic device has its own switch, it will still have power as soon as you switch on the battery. My panel doesn't have enough switches for all electronics, its only 22'."

"My boat is also 22 feet long.

"My boat is also 22 feet long. Have a look at "Blue Seas" positive & negative bus fuse blocks. They are very small..approx 4 inches wide and 8-10 inches long...they take about a dozen blade type fuses (newer automotive style fuses) on the positive side and the same number of wire posts for negative connections. They come with labels to identify each item. Makes everything neat, tidy and organized. When a fuses blows it will always be in one location. I have 2 buses behind the main helm, out of site, dry and easy to get at. You only need switches to those accessories that automatically come on when power is present...otherwise they are only on when you turn them on.
252627.jpg
Blue Seas `fuse blocks"">
252628.jpg
"

Back