Logo

power tilt trim issues (video)

ryanh0190

I have had this problem since I bought the boat and initially though it needed oil. When first raising or lowering the motor after its been sitting a bit the tilt almost looses power or struggles to raise or lower. After cycling up and down a few times it gradually gets stronger and operates as normal. I have filled the reservoir with atf per instructions. I have bleed what i beleive to be any air with cycling the manual valve open and running cylinders up and down. I made a little clip which shows majority of the problem though I was just using it so its not as bad as when its been sitting a bit. Before i tear things apart thought someone might know what is causing this. My guess is its the motor or possible relay. I appreciate any help.
Thanks.

Last edited:
At first it almost sounds like a weak battery or bad battery connections.

Before you take it apart, reseat the power connector going to the trim motor. Also, back probe it and watch the voltage as you are trimming. It could be bad cables, battery, connections or trim motor (brushes).

It seems odd that it even slows down going down.

How does it do when you give it some assist by pulling or pushing ?
How does it do when you give it extra resistance by pushing or pulling?

If the voltage test does not help, raise the engine all the way and lock it in place. Then remove the pin holding the top of the tilt rod. Then try running the trim up and down and see if it acts the same. If it does, tha t will eliminate a problem with the tilt tube. Of course, it will not have a load, so the test will be questionable.

It could very well be an issue with the tilt tube. Once it starts moving, the rust or whatever may be loosening and then the operation works easier.

Bottom line, try to isolate the problem first.....Is it electrical? Is it mechanical (binding tilt tube,etc)? Or Is it hydraulic (cylinder, pump, etc)?

Mike

Thank you. Just weird how it gets weak almost to a stop...then powers up to normal. After sitting for about 30 min it will do same thing. I will check electrical. Are brushes for the motor something I can buy or just whole motor. Surprised how much Honda power trim motor is compared to Yamaha or others. I have removed shaft pin while in lock position and it worked flawless...though, I was running it just before...so I'll try again. Thanks for pointers I'll report back.

Ryan

With it free, put push down on it as hard as you can. If it does not seem to faulter, then get a friend to help you lift and lower the motor by hand...may be rusty tilt tube.

Mike

If you must replace the tilt/trim motor, there are typically ATI alternatives that are one third the cost of the Honda motor. You may have to reverse the blue and green wire connectors, but that is very easy to do. I discovered this when the t/t motor died on my 225 and it would have taken two weeks to get the Honda replacement.

See chart below.

Honda PN API
31200-HW1-671 3070
31200-ZV5-0130 MOT5010N
31200-ZV6A-0130 MOT5010N
31200-ZW1-004 MOT6000N
31200-ZW5-003 MOT6001N
31200-ZY3-003 MOT6002N
31210-ZA0-982 ST200ND
31210-ZE3-013 MOT18513
36120-ZV5-821 PT302NM
36120-ZV5-822 PT656NM
36120-ZY3-013 PT607 NM

Had a few minutes today so I pulled the pin and ran the t/t freely with no weight and it was initially running slow. So, I suppose next step would be to trace wiring and check relay. If the relay is going bad would that cause it or is it either working or not? After that I will pull motor and check brushes (assuming that is possible without ruining anything).

Thanks again for comments.

Ryan

The relay contacts could be a problem and limiting current. If you can find the connector going to the motor, you can extend that directly to a battery.

You will need some pretty good size wires. When you connect to the battery, there will be big sparks.. Connect one wire permanently, so you just have to worry about the one wire sparking.

That will eliminate the trim relays. If all works well, then it is you trim relay unit.

Mike

Back