Logo

power steering pump

mercruier

I have a broken pump on an integrated mercury PS pump/reservoir. It looks identical to a standard GM issue. The engine is a GM 350, 1993 model. I would like to keep the reservoir, because the cap is welded on and has a ports to transfer excess fluid to an external reservoir and the PS pump on the other engine. My mechanic suggested I replace or fix the pump and put it back into the same reservoir (shaft broke off internally, so I think replace). I can find pumps at auto parts stores (autozone) that look like they will fit, for about $40-50. I know using car parts in a boat is risky, but in this case is there any difference? Also, if I were to replace the whole pump/reservoir assembly and get a cap with ports, the cost of a GM pump/reservoir for a car is about a third of the cost of a Mercury or Sierra PS equivalent unit ($400). Are these constructed from different materials to avoid corrosion? Any justification for the cost difference?
thanks,
Roger

That's a shame the shaft broke. I would identify the pump. Break it down. You will need a puller. Anyway, I bought a seal kit for a Saginaw Pump from a 1988 merc. for like $12.00. I have not had to rebuild yet but according to a buddy of mine, it is not that hard to do. If you could find a used pump maybe rebuild that one. You should be able to find a good used one with the intent to rebuild, seals, etc. Oh yeah, maybe make sure the power steering cooler is working properly or you will be rebuilding again. I would drain as much of the old oil out of the system and start over with new clean fluid. Take the pump off and tell these guys the type,part#,etc. Somebody on here probably has one or knows where to get it. best of luck, Tom

but in this case is there any difference?

Ayuh,... The differences are the size, 'n thread connections of the lines, 'n possibly mounting stud locations...

If ya can find an automotive pump that's the Same, Sure, go for it, 'n tell Us what the part numbers are...

Thanks for the pointers. There is a similar thread in iboats.com, and it looks like the fittings will be the same if I reuse the old reservoir as I plan to. The failure probably did arise from inadequate cooling, as an oil cooler on one engine had never been connected when the PS was installed. Problem now fixed, but damage done (this failure, melted reservoir, multiple prior hydraulic leaks...). If I can make this work I'll post the soln back to the forum.

There is zero difference between an automotive and marine PS pump, except maybe the reliefe valve. They even have same casting numbers on them. The pump body itself should be a Saginaw type "P" pump. The one on my '92 454 Merc Bravo 1 is same as 1990 chevy 2500 pickup, 350CI, 7200#...... PS PUMP-RMFD FENCO #18710201 available at Advance Auto Parts or Rock Auto for under fifty. Advance will loan you the pulley puller tool for zip. Swap your tank (and maybe the relief valve) over to the new pump and you're good to go.

Last edited:
There is zero difference between an automotive and marine PS pump, except maybe the reliefe valve. They even have same casting numbers on them. The pump body itself should be a Saginaw type "P" pump. The one on my '92 454 Merc Bravo 1 is same as 1990 chevy 2500 pickup, 350CI, 7200#...... PS PUMP-RMFD FENCO #18710201 available at Advance Auto Parts or Rock Auto for under fifty. Advance will loan you the pulley puller tool for zip. Swap your tank (and maybe the relief valve) over to the new pump and you're good to go.

Try this link: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=184982&cc=1032927
It's for the AC Delco one # 36517250, for under 30 bux. When you click on the part number, a window will pop up and show what it fits. You'll be amazed at how many vehicles it fits from every manufaturer in the US, plus Izuzu. HAHAHAHA

I ended up buying a PS pump (without reservoir) from Autozone. It is a rebuilt part, brand name Duralast. Autozone Part Number: 7250. Cost was about $40 plus a $7 core charge. This fit in the Mercruiser PS reservoir. Problem solved, and saved a few hundred $. The pump came with a set of o-rings to replace those on all of the fittings. They recommend also replacing the valve (at high pressure fitting on the reservoir), but as that was marine specific I had to keep the old one.
Thanks to all those who replied.

Back