Logo

power steering problems

eddio

I have replaced the power steering pump on my 4.3 lx (Maxum SR 1900). I bought the boat recently, on the trailer. Now in the water, I find that the hydraulic fluid is disappearing fast into the bilge. My funds have already now disappeared with repair costs for the boat, and my wife's good humour has long gone (she refers to the boat as 'the ornament'). Is it possible to 'short circuit' the power steering high/low pressure hoses by joining them, so that the pump does not run dry, and as a temporary measure run the boat without power steering until I can make some more cash - I am a retired guy with a part-time job. Any help on repairs temporary or permanet would be greatly appreciated.

Ed

most unit are powered by a separate V belt so just remove the belt. If its a serpentine belt then the answer I no. The low pressure line would not withstand 2000psi.
where is the leak?

Thank you for your advice. I had no idea that the pressure was so high, so bypassing as a temporary measure is a no - no. I am going to investigate the leak on Monday, hoping that I can wriggle down enough to gain access to the port side of the engine. She runs the single serpentine belt.

As an 'off the wall' idea, how about fitting a shorter v belt if I can get one, and running with manual steering pro tem? I wonder if, supposing that worked, if undue strain would be put on the steering mechanism, especially the helm?

Duh - I think that the belt would then foul the crankshaft pulley!

Last edited:
as long as the routing is correct it might work. never tried. If it was a hi pressure line you would know right away,a low pressre will just leak.
you don't list a year so I`m guessing the early type with the 2 steel lines

I'll have a look onboard tomorrow. Boat is early '90's or late '80's I think. 'Photos to follow if I can. Hopeful it MAY be a simple hose, but nothing has worked out that way so far.

Back