Logo

Power Steering Leak.

98SearaySD

HI, I have a 98 SEARAY SD with mercruiser 5.7L Carb. The power steering fluid is leaking, but to where????
I just bought the boat and noticed the PS reservoir was empty. I have since put about 1.5 quarts into it, but as soon as the motor starts, the fluid is sucked out of the resevoir.I am not seeing red ATF oil in the bilge either. Given the amount of oil that I have added I would expect to see something. Can anyone help? Thanks

HI, I have a 98 SEARAY SD with mercruiser 5.7L Carb. The power steering fluid is leaking, but to where????
I just bought the boat and noticed the PS reservoir was empty. I have since put about 1.5 quarts into it, but as soon as the motor starts, the fluid is sucked out of the resevoir.I am not seeing red ATF oil in the bilge either. Given the amount of oil that I have added I would expect to see something. Can anyone help? Thanks

If you are not able to see where the fluid is leaking (pump, hoses, slave valve or cylinder), it may be an internal leak within the oil cooler.

Things I know. Belt driven pump. two lines that both go to the steering assist mechanism. runs through a cooling jacket over the raw water system(having that chkd) Seems to be a closed system.

Whether your engine is fitted with a Closed Cooling System or is Raw Water Cooled, the steering pump fluid will pass through an oil cooler.
This cooler is within the incoming seawater path.

If the oil cooler is leaking internally, the oil will find it's way into the seawater path, enter the cooling system, and will then pass through and out with the exhaust cooling water.

Ok, I can understand that. Live in the FL keys though and the water is clear. Don't see any red stuff or a slick behind the boat when the motor runs.

Ok, I can understand that. Live in the FL keys though and the water is clear. Don't see any red stuff or a slick behind the boat when the motor runs.

Ayuh,..... If it ain't in the bilge, over-board with the exhausted raw water is the only other place it can go,.....

Back