Logo

Power Steering Fluid Disapears

kimberly_anne

I have a 1991 Mercruiser 4.3 t

I have a 1991 Mercruiser 4.3 that I have had to add power steering fluid to on a fairly regular basis. I don't see any leaks in the hoses or fittings but I will find transmission fluid in the bilge. I have tried the fill method outlined in the Mercruiser manual and I thought I had it purged properly. But I just checked it again and it is way down on fluid. The only place I can see any sign of oil is at the filler neck/cap. What would cause the fluid to come out the filler neck?

"Check the power steering cool

"Check the power steering cooler. If this is not winterized properly they pop and will leak anything from sea water or power steering oil. Its got to be coming from somewhere, keep looking. Does the boat have trim tabs?"

"Thanks Harves,

I will take

"Thanks Harves,

I will take a closer look at the power steering cooler. I never notice any oily film when I run it on muffs. But I guess it could just be a very small leak. Maybe I should just replace it. The boat does have Insta-Trim Boat Leveler trim tabs but that is a separate hydraulic system. The only spot that I can see where oil looks like it could be coming out is the filler
neck/cap area."

Back