Logo

Power steering diagram 86 Bayliner trophy

uscgret

Hello everyone,

Been awhile. I have a 1986 Bayliner Trophy 28ft w/350 chev 260A and a 280 SP drive.

I'm constantly fighting the wheel to turn port in meeting/crossing situations on my busy Bay and changing speed is not a good idea in these situations.

Thus, I purchased a VP actuator and pump/to install P/S.

I know that general consensus is "Don't do it". Somethings wrong or more maintenance, yadda yadda. Fact is I want it.

I disassembled and checked all operating hardware on the cable steering and nothing is amiss, and everything is lubed and free. The torque tab is hard over to port. No play in the drive, swings freely P/S without cable attached and the wheel spins like a top.:confused:

That said........It's a Big heavy boat and at full throttle becomes a wrestling match to turn port. :mad:

My questions are......

1. I have the pump-hoses-Accuator and bracket. What else would I require?

2. I've searched exhaustingly for a diagram for install and have come up empty.

I know it would seem that something is wrong in the cable steering system to make it act this way, but I really want to emphasize that I can't find anything wrong, nor do the motorheads that looked at it.

It's just a luxury that this unit is missing (it has everything else) and I want it.:cool:

Anyone with any intel on the above questions will get double rations.

Thanx in advance!!

Denny

Denny, I too would not do this.
The reason that you are feeling prop torque is that the trim fin/torque tab is not adjusted correctly.
If you are running the large 16" elephant ear prop, it is even more difficult to arrest this.

The other reason for not doing this, IMO, is that the results only mask the real issue.
All of your steering components will still undergo this stress and premature wear.
You won't feel it at the helm wheel, but it will still be there working away at your components.

IMO, you'd do better with hydraulic steering, but the same applies.... it only masks the real issue.

Hydraulic steering will generally out perform power assist steering, and you'll have no belt driven pump, no required oil cooler, nor any associated slave valve, etc. etc.
If you use a balanced cylinder, your lock-to-lock helm wheel rotation is the same.

Edit:
If there is a remote chance that a Duo Prop lower unit is in your future, the prop wash/steer torque is no where near the same.
Plus you'd gain the benefits of better planing ability, more speed and better fuel economy.
You could save yourself the expense of either steering system.

Last edited:
Thanx Ricardo,

I knew you would be a nay sayer, I've reviewed alot of posts on this. LOL

I had a Duo prop on her before with the same issue. Negligable difference.

Honestly I only run this thing about 20 hours a year, otherwise it sits in the slip like a picnic table in Texas. I'll be dead before I wear anything out as I do alot of PM on her.

I have the system in hand so I am opting to use it despite the honest and educated opinions of my peers (I highly regard your input as you have solved my issues before when no others could).

Any idea on where a diagram would be on this (boats in storage and I'm just chomping to get at this). It looks pretty straight forward to me, couple of bolts and pins?

Thanx,

Denny

Denny, you have a 280 single prop drive, not a SP drive...., correct?
( s/p can mean single prop.... SP is a drive model and will be P/T )

If 280, which hole is your set pin in?

Last edited:
See if it's in the center where it should be.

Are you using the large 16" diameter prop?

Do you have the correct trim fin/torque tab installed, and do you have it adjusted correctly?

Are you sure that the lower unit is a 280/290 style, or could it be a 270/275 style?

1. I have the pump-hoses-Accuator and bracket. What else would I require?

Ayuh,... I see Rick is workin' with ya,.... Yer in Good hands....

I just wanta mention,.... I don't see the Cooler listed there....

Ya really Need 1, or you'll just burn up the pump, 'n/ or the actuator...

Heading out to the pole barm in the morning. I'm running a 15 x17 prop. I'll dbk chk position of drive pin. I do have the cooler for the pump as well,,,,,,,,,,,,even if Rickardo hates the thought. Tab........I'm running a 280 but I have to take pix. I may be wrong but that's what the plate says. I am a good wrench and a seasoned boater but I have had alot of things pulled over my eyes. That's why I ask you guys for help. We've all been there once or twice. I'll report in the morning. By the way Ricardo, I saw your posts with that dink with the Rinker. I highly respect your opinions and your help and I can and would kick him to the rail.

Denny

Ricardo,

Definite 280 drive. Pole Barn is iced shut so I can't get to the boat. I'll check the pin position, trim fin position, how many frozen beers are still in the fish box and report back as soon as I can get the door open. (and before I get in the fish box)

Salute!!

Denny

BTW,

If you dressed warm and jumped a cloud......looking at the jet stream, I could get you in my yard. If your interested, I'll give you the room with the spa and the Volvo Penta calendar babes as well as my 69 cougar eliminator S code 4 speed to dick around in.
(The VP babes are the same year as the car, hope it doesn't steer you away tho)...?

Thanx for your help.

Denny (I'll report)

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Went out and checked on the above noted items.

Trim Tab is GONE! I'll have to get another.

Pin is centered.

It is a 280 Drive.

I'll reinstall a tab and adjust it to suit the rotation.

Any luck on finding a steering Diagram???

Thanx,

Denny

Denny, if your trim fin/torque tab had been mising, and is now installed, why not give it another try before going to all of this work?

I will ricardo. Just got a really good deal on the entire system and thought it would be a nice upgrade, I had it on a 21 century and really liked spinning the wheel without spilling my beer.

I'll try and find a trim fin and go that way first.

Hats off!!!!! I'll keep you posted on the results.

As always, Thanx for your help (everyone) You rock!!!!

Denny (Northern Michigan, give a month or so)

Back