Logo

power loss at 3000 rpm

amantinori

Contributing Member
Any idea what would cause a power loss when the throttle is pushed up after 3000rpm? Im going to start with clogged fuel filter but saw posting about distributor springs. I don't know how to check that since its the same distributor on the other motor and that one can hit 3800 no problem.

It's NOT the "same distributor as the other motor" and it can be the problem on its own.

Try this: Pull the dist. cap and rotor. Put a few drops of oil on the flet pad under the rotor (even if the felt pad isn't there--it happens). Next, put the rotor back on and "excercise it" by flipping it back and forth about 50 times. Then assemble the distributor, set the timing, and see if it runs better.

Jeff

Should I just replace the cap and rotor? There at least 2 years old that I know of because I haven't changed them. So I'm guessing there more like 2 to 5 years old.

Replacing them won't cure a sticking advance, but it wouldn't hurt. Be sure to get the right ones! There's two different design cap and rotor combinations, and they don't interchange: One has the spring in the rotor, the other in the cap.

Jeff

Took a look at the dist this weekend and cant seem to see what to put oil on and then move, the thing didnt turn back and fourth. Under no load she goes above 3000k no problem. Here is a pic of my dist

Attachments

• IMG00004-20100718-1200.jpg
    IMG00004-20100718-1200.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 106
That's a nice, after market Mallory unit--I'm envious--but the rotor should still move back and forth--that's how it advances the spark. Try that again and get back to us.

Jeff

PS: Just experienced the same thing with my starboard engine. In this case it was fuel starvation (dirty filter, I believe). Throttling back and "waiting" for the fuel pump to catch up allowed the motor to make power again, but at lower rpms.

Back