Logo

Power issue

tony0862

ok my twin screw 327's are

ok my twin screw 327's are having power issues. First i have replaced the impellers belts electrics on both engines and at the dock they purrr like a kitten and when given power they sound great. I took her out just to see how she ran and around half throttle thats all i get. Now the boat has been sitting for a couple years is this a prop issue or something else. I just cant get any power out of her while cruising. I know the bottom needs to be cleaned but cant get it to the marina with the power i have now. Any ideas??

"In my neck of the woods, if t

"In my neck of the woods, if the props were left for 2 years in the water, my 454's will reach maybe 3000rpm. Take a swim and see what they look like. Take a putty knife and gloves with you! Don't sweat the shafts/rudders, etc right now, but get the blades clean..."

Dirty bottom means the engines

Dirty bottom means the engines have to work that much harder. Do like Dave suggests and take a look. The other two choices are hire a diver to clean it or head for the marina at trolling speed. Growth on the prop blades will keep them from working well and may also cause imbalances. This will mess up the whole driveline in short order so get it fixed asap.

Is the gas 2 years old as well

Is the gas 2 years old as well? I had a boat I didn't use for one season so the gas was 16 months old. I could sit at the dock and they ran fine but I could only get 1500-2000rpm under load. I pumped all the old gas out and put fresh in and it ran great. I know I shouldn't have done it but I put 5 gallons at a time of the old gas in my wife's truck and it ran fine. My truck is diesel so I couldn't put it in mine.

"Three years ago we bought our

"Three years ago we bought our boat (Carver 355 aft cabin) in the fresh waters of the Chesapeake bay (where they do not paint the props) and moved it to the brackish waters of the middle bay. After setting for four weeks, due to schedule conflicts, at the height of barnacle season, we could never get her up on plane and the engines struggled something fierce. I dove down and the props were completely covered. I pulled her, cleaned and painted the props and have not had an issue since. I paint the props every year now. Of course now I never let her sit for four weeks either, I've got my priorities straight.

Jim,
How did you get the gas out of the tank? Since we do not use our aft tank I need to get the gas out as it has been sitting there for two years (25 gals or so). As anyone should, I'm a little skittish messing with gas on a boat.

David"

"It was in an old chris craft

"It was in an old chris craft on the trailer. I used one of those brass hand pumps(you know the type, the ones that say do not use for fuel) to get flow going then let it siphon out because the tank I was putting it in was on the ground far below the bottom of the tank. You are right though, I don't know what I would have done if it was in the bilge. I think harbor freight sells pumps for fuel."

Back