Logo

Possible VRO problems

Jcomach

Hi, good day,

First off, I would like to thank all who helped with my low compression issues, this forum rocks.

On to my new problem. I have twin 150 ocean pro. BE150EXEDB.

Little back history. The boat sat for five years, and the engine s have approx 730hrs each. I decarbed the engines changed fuel hoses and barbs, and cleaned the tanks.
On recommendations from users on here, I cleaned my oil tanks and replaced the blubs and hoses, then bleed the system.

I went on a test cruise yesterday for about an hour. Ran the engines @ 3800 rpm. Both tanks had 1gal each of 2 stroke oil. After I flushed the engines, I checked the level on the tanks. The Starboard side used half a gallon of oil. The motor smokes a lot on idle but can't see any smoke when running the engines. Now just to be clear, the over oiling was happening the last two times I took the boat out.

I had a mechanic come and check the fuel system and carb gaskets to see if I was sucking air, but everything seems ok. The previous owner had the carbs rebuilt with Original parts. Reading online, they say if you are having over oiling, it's a fuel issue don't know how true that is, so looking for some help here.

Ha! Some techs here blame a bad vent on oil cap. Seen and corrected that problem myself. Dismantle the cap and remove the little check valve parts. Try that, my friend. If that's not it, you can always put the parts back in.

How much did the port use?
How much gas did they use?
What color is the barb at top of vro pump?
No visible difference in port side.
That I can't say for sure. If I had to guess prob 8 gallons.
I don't know. I will have to check on Tuesday. But ist the newer style bro pump.

Im trying to determine if in fact you are over oiling or over smoking? The words guess ,about dont help..
Do an oil consumption test,covered in your service.

Ha! Some techs here blame a bad vent on oil cap. Seen and corrected that problem myself. Dismantle the cap and remove the little check valve parts. Try that, my friend. If that's not it, you can always put the parts back in.
Will give that a try.

You could, of course, switch caps and see if problem follows cap. Note: VRO's are destroyed by ethanol. Big problem here in MN which is one of 7 mandated ethanol states.

Last edited:
Back