Logo

Port Temp sensor/switch 96 150 Faststrike

J150gledb. Engine going in to SLOW mode best I can tell. I also have not noticed the "Quick Start" idling up the last few times out-which was back last summer. There are no alarms or lights on the pod on dash but 2500 rpm is all she will do under a load. -New in last year-coils, powerpack, stator, rectifier, plugs(champion), wires, optical sensor, primer bulb/fuel line. VRO deleted and double stack fuel pump added, fuel filter. I do have the factory OMC service manual I am looking at. I am in the process of replacing both t-stats-done-starboard side did not rattle as the port side or the new ones do. Replaced starboard temp sensor and finding the port sensor is discontinued. I read somewhere there is a work around to use a starboard sensor and ground a wire(presume the white wire) keeping the SLOW but loosing quick start. DDoes this work around ring a bell? I cannot find it again anywhere and it was just last week I was reading about it. All electrical parts were replaced because my rectifier decided to flame out one day running across the lake.

Would love to hear about this work around. I believe the sensor to be faulty on ours as well.

Alarm sounds, goes into slow mode but checking with infrared temp gun etc shows normal operating temp.

Rebuilt water pump, replaced t stats etc.

I know I read about the work around on a boating/engine forum somewhere. I look at so many I dont remember which one it was. I am certain it was using a Starboard sensor, connecting the brown wires and grounding the whit/black wire but I'd like to find it again to be certain.

you do not want to disable quickstart in my opinion. great feature. you can use any used 3cyl or V4 looper temp senders that have the white/blk quickstart wires. might open circuit at diferent temps, but not enough to matter. snip off the connector if they are not correct and just use bullet connectors or spade connectors wont matter.

Back