Logo

Poor acelerationperformance AQ130D280

blueskys

"Hey Folks , New to this for

"Hey Folks , New to this forum , need some help .Purchased a 1977 Glastron SSV177 recently . The boat has 130Hrs since new , always garaged & maintained . Has been sitting alot the last 3 years . Previous owner had boat serviced including carbs rebuilt & fuel tank drained last year . He used the boat less than 2 hours after that & said it ran fine .We took the boat out the first time last week & idle/low speed was great , but when you throttled up the boat acelerated VERY slow & took a VERY long time to finally plane over. Top speed started out at 24 mph & after a while finally reached 30 , but aceleration never got any better. The outdrive pin was in the middle hole , we moved it to the outer hole & it would't plane over at all . Maybe I am expecting too much from 110 hp , but I don't think so .The previous owner claims they skiied with this boat . I am a aircraft mechanic by trade , but new to boats .The compression is 160 psi , points & plugs new & the bosch super coil checks good . I am going to set the valve lash & check the timing this weekend .Any suggestions would be very welcome. Also the original marchal alternator has gone south , what is a good replacement ? I have a new delco 10si 3 wire alt. that would be easy to mount . Can that be adapted to marine use ? Thanks , Paul"

"Hi Paul, I have the same engi

"Hi Paul, I have the same engine and outdrive as you do. I have no problem pulling out waterskiers. Although if I have 6 people in the boat I have a hard time. What is the size of the prop do you have on? Do you see plenty out gas coming out when you hit the throttle?"

"Hey , Thanks for the reply .

"Hey , Thanks for the reply . The accelerator pumps seem to be working properly .Prop is a 14x19. WOT is 4800 RPM . With the outdrive not engaged the engine seems to rev normally , but under load it does not ."

"Paul, I'd be interested i

"Paul, I'd be interested in what you find when you check the timing. Mine did that and I found that the timing was too retarded.

Tom"

Back