Logo

Plug wires

Lit549

Please excuse my ignorance but, I was gonna order new plug wires for my 76 evinrude 115hp outboard. I can't find the correct plug wires anywhere. The wire goes directly into the coils. All the wire sets I've found are booted on both ends? If someone could point me in the right direction it'd be great..Thanks

They really didn't intend for the wires to be replaced in the original coils, but I suppose they can be (??). But the boot is 581027. Maybe that's all you need? Or copper core spark plug wire is available lots of places. Replacement coils do come as a kit with separate wires.

Have to ask.----Why do you want to replace those wires.-----Having issues with the motor ?
It's been idling fairly rough, I've done the plugs, rebuilt carbs, and wanted to do that also just for good measure. I haven't ran it since the carb rebuild so maybe it's better.. I was suprised how the plug wires are attached to the coils..And I can't find them anywhere. Like the guy said above, maybe they aren't intended to be changed very often?

On a 40 year old motor you start with a compression test.-----Post your numbers.----Don't worry about those wires.

Also do a spark test with an air gap tester. Your coils should be able to bridge a 7/16" gap with a bright blue flame. If not, you probably have a weak coil.

Back