Logo

Plug wires

drx

Contributing Member
"I recently ordered some repla

"I recently ordered some replacement plug wires for my 1989 200 Evinrude. The new wires are spiral wound mag core, but the original wires were stranded tinned copper core. The mag cores are showing 462 ohms for a 9" wire. Are these wires equivalent?"

"I am thinking not....the book

"I am thinking not....the book just shows a test on basic continuity...scale of rx1--lttle to no resistence....they have upgraded wires on a few engines,...maybe these...did u get this from a boat shop or dealer?.."

"I ordered these on here using

"I ordered these on here using the OMC part number for wires for my motor that I obtained from the BRP site. What I received are wires from Sierra. The labelling states, "replaces J/E 582365," which is the correct BRP part number. The Sierra part number is 18-5231-1.

If I recall correctly, I lost a few hundred RPM when I tried similar wires in the past. So I just repaired the original wires/boots where needed. You are correct, the original wires have almost 0 resistance."

"looking up your number,..i wo

"looking up your number,..i would say after looking in my book,that those should be excellent wires..."

"Just did some reading and app

"Just did some reading and apparently resistance does not equate to better conduction. The opposite would actually be true for this type of wire according to what this manufacturer writes:

"What is not generally understood (or is ignored) is that as a result of the laws of electricity, the potential 45,000 plus volts (with alternating current characteristics) from the ignition coil (a pulse type transformer) does not flow through the entire the length of fine wire used for a spiral conductor like the 1 volt DC voltage from a test ohmmeter, but flows in a magnetic field surrounding the outermost surface of the spiral windings (skin effect). The same skin effect applies equally to the same pulsating flow of current passing through carbon and solid metal conductors."

i.e. more closely spaced windings = better conduction and higher resistance(greater length of wire)"

Grant..the new wires are bette

Grant..the new wires are better for electrical noise suppression...the should be ok..

Back