Logo

Plenty of fuel but no fire

Hello All,

I have a 1997 Evinrude 35, 3 cyl. that is getting plenty of fuel to the carbs but when I pull the plugs out they are bone dry and it won't start. It ran until it heated up and spark was intermittent so we replaced the power pack but now shes a no-go. Any thoughts? TIA!

Last edited:
The motor would only run for a few minutes until it warmed up. Spark was on again off again. Based on these symptoms, the power pack was the recommended route.

The motor would only run for a few minutes until it warmed up. Spark was on again off again. Based on these symptoms, the power pack was the recommended route.

Perhaps test the power coil ( orange wires ) and carefully inspect pins on the plugs that plug into the powerpoack.

Post #1 says plenty of fuel ????----Now you suddenly have spark .----And now no fuel from 3 carburetors supplied by 2 pumps .----And a very reliable choke / primer system.----Very puzzling.

Post #1 says plenty of fuel ????----Now you suddenly have spark .----And now no fuel from 3 carburetors supplied by 2 pumps .----And a very reliable choke / primer system.----Very puzzling.

The fuel runs out of the carbs when cranking but it doesn't seem to be getting to the cylinders. It only fires occasionally and the plugs are clean and dry after we try to start it. We did find last night that one of the primer line small connectors was broken off so we have a replacement coming. So it may have been sucking air from that.

We didn't touch the floats. The fuel runs out of the carbs when cranking but it doesn't seem to be getting to the cylinders. It only fires occasionally and the plugs are clean and dry after we try to start it. We did find last night that one of the primer line small connectors was broken off so we have a replacement coming. So it may have been sucking air from that.

Those 3 cylinder motors on my motor rack have 1 nipple on the primer.----The parts book on this site shows the cover with one nipple and one shorter ( plugged ) nipple.

Those 3 cylinder motors on my motor rack have 1 nipple on the primer.----The parts book on this site shows the cover with one nipple and one shorter ( plugged ) nipple.

This primer has three nipples one for the main hose and two wee ones one of the wee ones is broken off

All the primers have the feed from the fuel pump.----Bigger nipple.----The 3 cylinder motors that I have and that is more than 1 motor, have just 1 small nipple to inject fuel directly into the manifold.----If yours has 2 wee nipples it may be a 3 or 4 cylinder primer installed because the 3 cylinder complete primer is no longer available.

Back