Logo

Please help

kraemerjon873

Hoping somebody on here can help me.
I am a first time boat owner I bought a 1985 blue water with a mercruiser 170 horsepower 3.7 lt was running when I bought it was running a little rough so I decided you a tune-up on it and oil change was going to perform the oil change first was running the motor and ran out of gas I put new gas in and proceeded to do the tune-up plugs wires cap and rotor after completing this try to start the motor and it would not start was turning but would not fire it would backfire a little bit and smoke we come out of the carburetor try putting starter fluid in carb and still nothing any help would be appreciated

That's what I was thinking so I doing research I know cylinder 1 is the spot right in front of the point of the rotor which I started cylinder 1 at 9 o clock which would have been the back of the rotor need to go look I should have started with 12 o clock position which the front of the rotor was facing....thx

You need to determine when #1 cylinder is at TDC compression. Then remove the cap and see where the rotor is pointing firing order is 1,3,4,2

You need to determine when #1 cylinder is at TDC compression. Then remove the cap and see where the rotor is pointing.
firing order is 1,3,4,2

I'll second that!

Keep in mind that #1 TDC comes around twice during the 4 engine cycles.
You must stop the crankshaft when #1 is at (or very near) top dead center on the compression stroke.

Back