Logo

Please help with Dbl Solex 44PA1 carbs on AQ131!!

Tracyman0111

Hey all----

I have an old 19 foot bowrider with AQ131, double Solex single barrels. I don't know a whole lot about these carbs, but I know they were rebuilt about 2 years ago the guy said, and then he winterized it and hadn't run it since. Bad gas in the carbs, I know. We ran it dripping gas down the throat of the carbs, and it runs well. When you twisted the throttle, no gas came out though. I took the lids off and cleaned all the junk out of the bowls, and now steady streams of fuel squirt out of the top nozzles when you twist the throttle shaft; HOWEVER, it ONLY squirts out if you are twisting that shaft, therefore it will not idle. Is there another place (inside the carb) where fuel is induced in order to idle? I hope I've described this situation well enough. I'm sure anyone who knows these carbs will know what I'm talking about. Can anyone help me please? Thanks, Travis

If there was debris and varnish in the bowl, it's in the idle circuit passages as well. It sounds as though they are clogged. You can try removing and readjusting the idle mixture screw but it's really best to disassemble and clean everything properly. You can find kits on ebay for a reasonable price. Here's one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SOLEX-44PA1-CARBURETOR-KIT-VOLVO-AQ-MODELS-/390306854170?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item5ae019f51a

Go ahead and buy a gallon can of carb cleaner and do it right. These carbs aren't particularly complex and you can do them one at a time so you have the other one for a reference.

A word of caution concerning the idle mixture screws, read the manual for your engine to find the correct setting. It's significantly different for different engines. Double check the kit you receive to make sure the idle needle is the same size as what comes out of the carb. If it's not the same and the original is damaged, post back and I can link you another source for idle mixture screws.

Back