Logo

PLEASE HELP!!! Issues with my outboard

lv2exl8

Hello guy I recently purchased a 1984 Mercury 35hp out board. While out fishing on a lake this morning I find out that randomly my motor wouldn't turn over, in fact I got no response what so ever when turning the key. I also noticed my power till was completely dead as well. I checked all the wiring and everything looked good. Long story short I was forced to jump the motor and it ran perfectly fine and even shut off on its own when I turned the key to the off position. When I got home I decided it might be the starter solenoid so I changed that, still no reaction from motor. Now I am thinking something went wrong in my control box/unit as both tilt and "start" stopped working all of a sudden unexpectedly. Has any one else had similar issues???? PLEASE HELP I don't think I can go long jump starting my motor much longer

Thanks for a quick response. So I am 99.9% sure the battery is good, I charged it overnight and still nothing. My buddy barrowed my volt meter so I don't have one at this time, though I will get one after I come back from my trip to banks lake tomorrow. What I don't get is why would both tilt and start die all of a sudden together at once.
Fully charge that battery with a slow charge out of the boat and measure battery voltage. Let it sit for 24 hours and check voltage again if it drops the battery is bad. If the battery holds voltage start the motor and at around 1500 rpms measure battery voltage again it should be higher than battery voltage if not the stator or rectifier are suspect?

I was kind of talking out of my ass, I am not 100% sure exact year but its somewhere between '80-85. This is so confusing, I cant seem to locate the serial number anywhere, not even a spot for it.
I am not seeing that mercury produced a 35hp in 1984 what is the model and serial number on your motor?

Easiest things first. Check your cable connections at the battery posts. Remove both of them and sand, or better yet, wire brush them clean. Re-install and try to start and /or trim. A battery can check good as gold but if you don't get good conduction to the motor it won't work. Your lights and other accessories may work but cranking the motor and running the trim pump require more current.

Yeap, I am in Bellevue. Good to see someone local here. Thanks for all your help, I have a feeling its the wires from the battery back to the control box. I was curious if you know what signal I am suppose get coming from the control box into the starter solenoid. My guess is positive going to the solenoid. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Banks lake are you in WA? Maple Valley here It sounds like a simple fix once you figure it out. Start with sanding all the connections metal to metal, Bend the cables and wires end to end looking for weak spots, somtimes they corrode under the insulation and still look good. If it dont start search around for hot spots resistance creates alot of heat real quick especially on high amp draw components. Try shorting the start solenoid battery posative to the start terminal from the ignition switch if it starts your ignition switch or wires to/from it are bad. Pull all connectors apart and inspect for corrosion, clean them good both sides with elecrtical cleaner and put some dielectric grease on them to protect from moisture. especially the connector for the harness to the controls it gets exposed to the elements the most. GL

I already did that 2 weeks ago when my starter would spin but would not kick up to crank the flywheel. I learned it the hardway, after purchasing a brand new starter only to find out it did the exact same thing. Cleaned the terminals and boom, started right up. :)
Easiest things first. Check your cable connections at the battery posts. Remove both of them and sand, or better yet, wire brush them clean. Re-install and try to start and /or trim. A battery can check good as gold but if you don't get good conduction to the motor it won't work. Your lights and other accessories may work but cranking the motor and running the trim pump require more current.

Back