Logo

please help 1972 25 hp

gmtech88

i got a 72 25hp evinrude,it sheared a key way,i replaced it now i cannot get it to start ....it the timing off or do i need to throw it away hahaha,sometimes i want to, i just need to get it running.any ideas:confused:

Re: please help

The key sheared because the nut was not torqued to factory specifications. Find out what the torque specs are and torque that nut properly. If sheared, the engine would be out of time. You may need to clean up the flywheel and crankshaft tapers first.

Re: please help

The timing is set by the key that keeps the flywheel aligned with the crankshaft. Unless it is sheared, the engine is in time. The is no timing adjustment other than setting the ignition points properly.

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubber portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

Back