Logo

Play in Gimbal Housing

rgomez100

"Hello folks, long time reader

"Hello folks, long time reader and I finally decided to join the board. I have gained a significant amount of knowledge from reading your posts and for a "relatively new to boating" individual, you all have made my life a whole lot simpler so a big thank you to all.

Now, for my next problem that I need to fix. I have finally determined why I can't keep my boat on a straight line while at idle speed or in a no wake zone. Where the gimbal ring comes in contact with the pin that is connected to the steering lever, I have noticed that there is a significant amount of play. I can move the outdrive from left to right about 6-8 inches. I have been told that I need to replace the gimbal ring and pin but that is a whole lot of money. I was also told that I could buy a complete (used) transom assy with the gimbal ring and pin installed and replace that instead. Whatever I do, I will do it myself (I am mechanically inclined). My question is, which of the two alternatives is the simplest and cheapest to perform? Is there another way to fix this? I know about the Mercruiser fix about drilling a hole in the transom assy and inserting pins but that just a band aid. My local mechanic also told me that he has tightend the 2 screws the clamp the gimbal to the pin enough that he is not comfy with tightening them any more.

Also, I intend to order the SLOC Manual #3206 to guide me through the repair. Would this be the correct manual? I have a 1996 Marada bowrider, 21' with a 5.0L Chevy engine and an Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive.

Thanks, in advance.

Robert"

"I know this all too well, sin

"I know this all too well, since I just had that done. The hole kit works great and it is not a band-aid. It's much easier and less expensive than pulling the engine. I was able to find the gimbal ring and upper swivel shaft on e-bay and the mechanic supplied the rest of the parts. Bellows, tubes, shift cable and other parts need to be replaced when doing this. Total cost for the fix came to around $1800.00.
Doing it yourself should cost much less."

Back