Logo

Picked up two older mers, 1100 and a ? see pic.

skeeter115

One has 1100 on front cover and 110 hp on lower cover with a serial number of 2209364. It could be a 1967 ? It has a rod through the crank cover on number 5 cyl. but a great lower unit.
The other motor is what is puzzling me. The decals have been modified and now says 1200 on the motor cover and 120 hp on the lower cover. The original ? number has been cut out and the 2 added in. The serial number is 3916387 on both the block and the front plate. The timing of .125 BTDC 23' is stamped on the front support if that helps at all. How can I identify what hp and year this really is? The lower unit is shot on this motor. Will this power head fit onto the 1100?
Right side.jpg Left side.jpgBoth motors.jpg

The 22xxxx serial would be a 1967 and would have to be a 110, only motor over 100 horses built in 67.

The 39xxxx serial would be a 1974 model. And yes it is puzzling especially since Merc never built a 1200 (120), at least not since before 1963.

In 74 the candidates would be a 115, 135 or 150 horse model (1150, 1350, 1500).

If only one digit has been replaced in the decals, I would suspect it's actually a 1500/150 - only one that would fit.

Regardless, simply looking up the part numbers for the two different serials tends to show that the lower units were not a direct swap for each other - so simply based on that, don't know if they would work or not.

If you have both of them sitting there it's easy enough to pull one and see if it fits on the other - would certainly answer the question.

Just my 2 cents here - these are very old motors. You will have extreme difficulty trying to find parts. Do you know if either will run? Is this just a "I want to see if I can cobble together a motor because" or you want the (semi) classic look for a mahogany runabout? - if it's not something like that you may want to find a "different project" if you are looking for an "everyday" engine. These were very good motors earlier in their lives and still do have quite a following - but not something I would personally touch - at least not in the condition those appear to be in....

Is there any way to know for sure if it is a 1500? If you cant tell by the serial #, and if I did'nt have these modified decals, How else can I tell? bore size, piston shape, carb body shape, anything? I think mercury screwed up by not having coded serial #s.
I picked these motors up to hopefully find an over size piston for another merc I have been working on or maybe make one usable motor out of the two.
Funny story, I have a mercury 115 hp, at least it says 1150 on the top and 115 hp on the lower cover but the serial # is 2411524. After searching the web it looks like this motor is a 1000ss? Is it just my luck to find motors with the wrong decals? It had a melt down on #3 and scored the bore. Over size pistons are hard to find. When I opened up the 1100 looking for an over size piston to use in the 1000ss I found that they are about .062 larger. The aluminum block is bored the same but the sleeves are thinner on the 1100. Back to looking for a 732-3449A2 piston.

Yes, the jets are the only thing that I can see immediately that would differentiate a "franken-outboard" that's been disguised.

The 1500's had used two standard main jets - .080 (short shaft model) .082 (long shaft).

The 1350's used a .0785 (standard) and,

The 1150's used a .072 (standard).

To confuse the matter there were "optional" jets for both the 1350 and 1500 that overlapped each other - exactly the same part number (the standard on the 1350 was an optional jet for the 1500 - go figure).

I had a look at a number of other parts and they are identical - so the jets are the best bet. Can be checked with a set of numbered drills (and a digital caliper to confirm the drill diameter) - and then hope that the jets were never changed from "standard", since .0785 would still make it a "maybe" 1350 (stock) or 1500 (modified)....

Back