Logo

Pertronix Quality Control

Ply

Contributing Member
I know, you either love or hate the Hall Effect. I'm in the middle, but I do find upkeep is the key.

My question is this I change my Cap and Rotor every other year for quite a few years now, also lube on the advance mechanisms is crucial. This season I get my billet dizzy cap and it's actually almost an actual "red" color instead of the usual Burgandy/Mauroon color I've seen before..

Call me crazy, but would this make you scratch your head? I call Pertronix and ask if they're 100% sure this is the "marine" billet dizzy cap, and he shrugged me off...

Anyone seen color variation in caps that have otherwise been same damn color for years??

Last edited:
I know, you either love or hate the Hall Effect. I'm in the middle, but I do find upkeep is the key.

Hall Effect itself is good. It is widely used in many applications today. However, the way in which Pertronix builds Hall Effect into their ignition system is cheezy at best.
The diameter of the magnetic wheel is too small.
The casting of the magnets into the plastic wheel can be inaccurate.
Pertronix has admitted to finding errors of up to 1.5 degrees.
In my opinion, you will have a much better system with VR or Photo-Eye.

My question is this I change my Cap and Rotor every other year for quite a few years now, also lube on the advance mechanisms is crucial. This season I get my billet dizzy cap and it's actually almost an actual "red" color instead of the usual Burgandy/Mauroon color I've seen before..

Call me crazy, but would this make you scratch your head? I call Pertronix and ask if they're 100% sure this is the "marine" billet dizzy cap, and he shrugged me off...
Call them again in hopes of speaking with a different person.

Minor variations are normal but a wholesale color change would indicate a different vendor or a change in the specified material.....either way, an explanation isn't too much to ask for. The 'better' caps will have brass terminals vs the aluminum ones found in the cheaper caps...

Thanks, Mark.... Well I installed it and it worked just fine, but it's just the point that such a change throws you off for a minute. With the counterfeiting today some things makes you say hmmmmm....

Back