Logo

Perkins Sabre M225Ti - coolant leak. Newbie looking for troubleshooting advice

Bill C.

Hello All, I am new to this forum and new to the Perkins Sabre M225Ti engine on my 2002 sailboat.

I just noticed a small coolant drip below the engine. I am quite experienced with gas engines, but am new to diesel engines and this M225Ti engine in particular.

The leak appears to be coming from the front of the engine. As I face the engine (looking aft), the leak is on the starboard side below the alternator and the electrical relay box. On a car engine, it would be on the right, front corner of the engine.

The leak is small, about a 1/4 cup in about a month. The engine has only been run for 5 minutes in the past month, because we are doing some work to upgrade the electrical system.

Before I start digging into this, I was hoping that someone could help with basic troubleshooting advice.

A mechanic will charge $800 for a visit. I want to order spare parts in case I need to call him out. I don't know how the coolant system is configured on this part of the engine.

So I don't know if I need to order a gasket kit, new hoses, or prepare myself for something worse.

I will upload a picture when I get to the boat.

Thanks in advance!

Back