Logo

Peninsular Diesel 65 Antifreeze

catsmydrift

Brought my Wasque 26 with Peni

Brought my Wasque 26 with Peninsular 6.5 Diesel for winter staroage. The yard mechanic called and told me that the antifreeze had failed a test below 40 degrees. He billed me for "flushed and cleaned out the engine block and then put in the proper mix of antifreeze" and charged 4 hours for labor plus parts. Does this seem reasonable?

"not familar with your boat so

"not familar with your boat so can't say how much access it has or not. If it is tight and hard to get to the block plugs, four hours may be reasonable. If it is easy access, your mechanic doesn't drive anaything but a luxury car.

I'd chalk it up to a lesson learned...next year check around and see what the going rate is. Shopping around is usually the best way to minimize the "greedy" service providers.

Where did the test results indicate the antifreeze was good to? I'd suspect -40 doesn't occur often unless you frequent Canada and is a bit overkill. I know the international's are sensitive to a supplemental additive in the coolant as well as pH and freezing point."

Back