Logo

Painting exterior of my 150 HP suggestions

Nucad

Regular Contributor
Hello, I have a carbed V6 150 HP on my ski boat. The motor was originally Grey. The bottom gearcase has been replaced with a Black rebuilt unit. The top cover has been professionally refinished in Black two stage paint, but the center section is hard to look at in mottled and semi corroded Grey.
Can anyone suggest a DIY formula to get this matching the rest of the motor? Was thinking of a light sanding, then maybe some Zinc primer, then a top coat.. Are there good marine grade products you can suggest? The boat lives in fresh water and will never see salt.

Tia

I believe the yamaha outboard website has the codes for specific model/year paint colors. And if they don't, you'll find the answer with google. Once you've determined the accurate paint code used, you can then order X amount to paint the LU.

Is there a type of paint that is most suitable for a marine environment?

The type is the paint that's engineered for marine environments. If what you're asking is what if you don't buy the paint from yamaha, what paint should you buy....I don't know. But if I wanted to repaint my Yammy and wanted it to look like a yammy, I'd buy the paint from yammy.

Back