Logo

Paint the hull or not

briang0

Regular Contributor
I painted the hull of my boat

I painted the hull of my boat in July 2009 after it rained for about 6 weeks. I changed the oil in the eng and tranny in the fall of 2008 when I took it out of the water. My trailer broke and I couldn't get the boat in the water. I winterized the engine but didn't change the oil because the engine ran for about 30 minutes total. The questions I have are:

Do I need to repaint the hull even though it never saw the water and should I change the oil again?

"Bottom paint... I used miron

"Bottom paint... I used miron 2 year paint from interlux and they said it would "lock up" when out of the water and be fine when activated the next year when wet again. I don't think other paints do that and that's why you paint within 1-2 weeks of splash... Also why I paid so much. That being said, some folks I know run the boat every couple days and don't care too much about paint at all... Cheapest wins... In that list are painting less... I used to paint each year..."

"All depends on the paint you

"All depends on the paint you used.
For the first time before going back in, I would probably lightly pressure wash the bottom paint.
Since it is a trailer boat, put it in and if you see excessive growth starting, pull it and pressure wash it. Depending on when in the season it is, repaint or just clean and put back in.
I would probably chance the oil."

Back