Logo

Overheating warning sound (Not overheated)

Drummerdave

I am having an issue with an Evinrude Ocean Pro 150 EXETG 1993. I last season replaced the water pumps parts in a rebuild kit to take care of an overheating issue. Everything seemed terrific for this season until about 2 weeks ago. I am getting the signal for overheating but when I feel the water coming out of the motor it feels fine. Nothing unusaul with the water temp but the horn will sound and the motor will run rough and only creep along at maybe 1/4 throttle no matter where you set it.

If anyone can help me with this issue I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Dave Rubin
On an island near the Chesapeake bay!

The engine thinks it is overheating and going into S.L.O.W. mode, which is a safety system. you need to take the temp reading on the block and heads when it goes into slow. can you keep your hand on the heads without burning them? I know the water is not hot but I still need you to findout the temp or to do the touch test.you can also do a test on the temp switch.

Thanks for your reply and i have a temp gun that i can test the engine block/head temp and will do that when I get home. At the risk of sounding stupid where would i find the TEMP Switch? I was trying to find one on the engine and then in the Engine Breakdown for parts on this site but could not find a temp switch OR a thermo in the diagrams

Also once I do find it what kind of test do I perform?

Thanks Again

Last edited:
You have a fuel vaccum switch that has the same constant sound as the overheating tone set off by a fuel restriction.Most likely it is a bad filter, anti-syphon valve or clogged pick up tube, you need to hook up a fuel pressure and vaccum guage and run it you should never see more than 4hg.The alarm is set to go off at 6.5-7. First rule out overheating with your temp gun.

My thanks to you both.

We had a thunderstorm last night due to the extreme heat in this area.

Will test the block temp this evening and get back to you.

Okay, Guys coueytwo / Poop

You may have something with the Anti Siphon valve and heres why I say that. When I took it out this afternoon I NEVER got the tone. The temps ranged from 140 degrees at 3000 rpm to 180degrees at a very low no wake cruising speed almost an idle. BUT, I needed some fuel so I pulled in to a marina and put in 1/2 tank. When I went to start it up it flooded and would not start. This has happened to me 3 times and all started at the same time as the tone. My fix was to disconnect the fuel line at the pressure bulb and turn the engine over until it started. Then I reconnect the fuel line. (Heres the thing) I noticed a suction sound as if the fuel ran back towards the inboard fuel tank when I disconnected the line. The anti siphon is on the top of the tank is it not? And prevents the fuel from going back into the tank? It has an onboard fuel tank and I have replaced the anti siphon valve once before several years ago.

Once again thank you for your time

Last edited:
Back