Logo

Overheating 2002 200hp Yam SX200TXRB

Jerryjerry05

Outstanding Contributor
Hi all, my friends 2002 200Yam is overheating.
Impeller,housing,thermo's new(and good) within a year.
Was running all day, no problems.Then started to get on plane to come in and the buzzer started going off.
The buzzer went off and he didn't know what that meant.
Ran it at his house and it still made the buzzer go off.
I looked at it today and the impeller,thermo and everything's good.
Motors only have 137 hrs since new.

I remember someone saying or posting something about the 200/225 and it had a problem with the exhaust and it rotting away and not letting water up into the head??
Not sure this is a story or has some truth in to it or not.

The rotting exhaust is an F series problem. Shouldn't affect your 2 stroke. Is it overheating at idle, or at higher rpm's? If at idle it could be the Pressure Control Valve (poppet valve). Simple and cheap fix, and quite common issue on the Yam 2 strokes. What does the 'pee/' stream look like? Other commonish possibility is a stuck thermostat. Are both heads getting hot or one more than the other?

Twin motors,the port pee isin't quite as strong as the other.
The thermos, both tested ok. Actually only a year old.
Over heat at idle.
Any pics available of the cooling system?
I see the PCV(poppet) in the parts diagram.
Hard to change?
I'm a regular over on the Force/Chrysler Forum.
Learning a lot on the Yams.
Thanks,Jerry

Over heat at idle is a common issue. If we can trust my memory (?????) there is a small 'top hat' shaped fitting (painted grey like the engine) with a small hose coming out of it just below the starboard corner of the large black plastic 'electronics cover' on the rear of the engine. It is secured by 2 x 10mm bolts. Inside is a plastic plunger and a spring. Take that off, clean out the hole in the block, clean the plunger, spring etc and refit with some grease or goo on the gasket. If the gasket is damaged get a new one and check for leaks once you refit and start up. There are newer versions of the poppet valve as well, but for the 10 minutes it takes to service I am not sure whether it is worth getting the new ones. We haven't and I service the valves every 2 or 3 years max.

Thanks again, glad to hear the rotting exhaust is for a different motor.
Gonna try the PRV this AM.
I'm surprised they still use the PRV.
Force stopped using them in 89/90.
Guess they perform a function.

Back