Logo

Overheat alarm with cold water coming out of engine

1999 yamaha 115 inshore with a bobs machine stabilizer plate.

I had an overhear alarm yesterday go off so I shut it down immediately and waited a while. I am pretty sure I’m under propped because at half throttle the tachometer says 6000. So I back off to 5500 max. Still trying to get a replacement prop.

Well i was running between 5000-5500 pulling some tubers and that’s when the alarm went off. I let it sit for a few minutes and when the alarm turned off and I was idling, I checked the temperature of the water coming out and it was cold. My engine before this the water was at least warm so I was surprised. Going to install a temperature gauge to have more info on what’s happening. I limped it home and called it a day, no more alarm.

I was just surprised the pisser wasn’t at least warm. Is that normal? Some I’ve seen say that some engines it is but I wasn’t sure how to find out on this model.

The water out of a Yamaha tell tale is not normally hot. Luke warm at best. Reason being is that water coming out of the tell tale is not water that has passed through the block and heads.

Agreed ----on many Johnson / Evinrude motors the water from tell tale does not go through the block.---I am not sure on Yamaha models.---Consult your Yamaha shop.-----Examine your Yamaha carefully , look for wiring issues.----Blockages at thermostats.-----Perhaps picked up a plastic bag on water intakes ??

Thanks everyone!

Maybe I sucked something up and hopefully it spit it out eventually or when I flushed afterwards. It’s not low oil because the mixer has been deleted and I premix.

you have to take off the cover to her to the thermostat don’t you? I’m assuming I’d need a new gasket if I were to visually check it for blockage?

I have that temp gauge on only one head, so I’m wondering if if the water passes through both heads or each head has its own route. I wonder if having only one temperature gauge does me any good for the side that the sensor isn’t on

Thanks everyone!

Maybe I sucked something up and hopefully it spit it out eventually or when I flushed afterwards. It’s not low oil because the mixer has been deleted and I premix.

you have to take off the cover to her to the thermostat don’t you? I’m assuming I’d need a new gasket if I were to visually check it for blockage?

I have that temp gauge on only one head, so I’m wondering if if the water passes through both heads or each head has its own route. I wonder if having only one temperature gauge does me any good for the side that the sensor isn’t on

Bad idea.

Well after my jet ski blew an engine because the mixer failed I’ve always worried about the mixer on my last engine. I’ve never lost an engine that premixed yet so hopefully it doesn’t happen now. The marina I bought it from had it removed. I think everything is still there if I wanted to change it.

Back