Logo

Overcharging?

EmCox

Greetings, knowledgeable engineers!
I bought a 1989 Johnson GT150 late last summer, it’s on a same year 19’ Bass Cat.
I’m not a big fisherman but I love the water - anyway, I rebuilt the carbs and changed the plugs, wires, filter etc. I have it running pretty nice (it had very low hours and looks almost new), it had been in storage for 22 years.
It had a basic Everstart deep cycle in the starter position that the previous owner bought just to activate the trim and move the boat so I could buy it. I have used the boat 4 times and runs pretty good (everything seems to work except the Tachometer). :(
I noticed that it was charging high like 14-15 so I purchased a brand new Die Hard starter battery, 800 CCA. It obviously works much nicer BUT, I see that it is charging even higher, like 16 amps. It comes down when I add load like the pump and a few more things but I just feel like this is too high (?)…
I’m okay with mechanical and I have a multi meter but admittedly very novice with this electrical system.
1) is it overcharging and if so is this dangerous? What’s my first move to fix it?
2) should I just buy a new tachometer, is it possible that there is a bad connection? (The wires appear to be in place and okay).
Thanks!
Steve

Greetings, knowledgeable engineers!
boat 4 times and runs pretty good (everything seems to work except the Tachometer). :(
I noticed that it was charging high like 14-15 so I purchased a brand new Die Hard starter battery, 800 CCA. It obviously works much nicer BUT, I see that it is charging even higher, like 16 amps. It comes down when I add load like the pump and a few more things but I just feel like this is too high (?)…
I’m okay with mechanical and I have a multi meter but admittedly very novice with this electrical system.
1) is it overcharging and if so is this dangerous? What’s my first move to fix it?
2) should I just buy a new tachometer, is it possible that there is a bad connection? (The wires appear to be in place and okay).
Thanks!
Steve
I assume you mean 16 volts, not amps.

Yes 16 volts is too high. Check your multimeter on a known voltage source or against another.

If correct replace the rectifier regulator. ( That may also cure the problem with the tacho )

Volts :)
Thank you! I replaced the battery with a new Die Hard and used stainless nuts righted up good - same problem. I ordered a new regulator/rectifier and will install. It’s the 89 model that requires the fly wheel to be removed, with the fly wheel off is there anything else that I may want to address while there? Remounting and properly touring down the fly wheel should not move my timing correct?

Replace impeller and rectifier
Thank you! I did recently replace the impeller, could I have created this problem? I don’t recall if it was happening before that, I replaced it because it was old not because it had failed. How does the impeller affect the voltage?
Thanks again?

impeller will not affect voltage id say you have a bad reg or a dirty connection on the sense wire and your reg doesnt see full voltage and is compensating and this will eventually boil your batt and shorten its life

impeller will not affect voltage id say you have a bad reg or a dirty connection on the sense wire and your reg doesnt see full voltage and is compensating and this will eventually boil your batt and shorten its life
Thank you! I have the new rectifier and looking forward to pulling the flywheel. The connections are clean, it must have gone bad after 30 years :) from what I’m hearing, the tach not working is a sign of the problem. Fingers crossed because other than this this motor run and looks like new. It was used 2 times a year for ten years and then stored in the garage for 20

Yes 16 volts is too high. Check your multimeter on a known voltage source or against another.

If correct replace the rectifier regulator. ( That may also cure the problem with the tacho )
Vics, I installed the new refrigerator/rectifier Sunday.

The tach is unfortunately still not working. The gage is holding steady at 14 volts, does this sound okay? I’m not really sure what is the acceptable range reading. I will try a new tach next but it is running well. Thoughts? (14 volts at idle on the hose)

These are water cooled rec/reg's and a weak impeller will damage them.
This makes good sense. I did replace the impeller, the damage may have already been done from before so I’m glad that I have a new one installed to accompany the new regulator. Is there a good method of testing for proper cooling of the rec/reg? I have not experienced any over heating issues.

These are water cooled rec/reg's and a weak impeller will damage them.
Can you tell me please if charging at 14 volts is okay. Where should it be? The impeller, battery and regulator are brand new and the water flow is good. If 14 is too high, what would you suspect next, to be the cause.
Thanks in advance…
Steve

Update- all fixed. Installed the new regulator rectifier and it is charging at 13.2 volts at idle. The tachometer was still not working. Installed a new one from off the shelf at West Marine. It idles at 900 :) took my daughter out on Lake Michigan in Chicago to watch the Thunderbirds air show and had a great time. Planning a fishing trip in two weeks. Thanks for everyone’s help!

Thanks for the feed back.

It wont do much in the way of charging at 13.2 volts . Needs to be above 13.8 ish and preferably in the range 14 to 14.4 for a flooded lead acid battery.

It is a brand new lead acid Die Hard 800 marine starting battery. The charging voltage gets up there when underway. I’ll keep an eye on it - I was just so happy to see it not pinned at 15 to 16. At first it was 14.2 to 14.5 and I thought it was still broken but it came down from there when at idle. It really seems to be running and charging well but I’ll be watching. Thanks Again! Full disclosure… I had no idea in the beginning that this regulator/rectifier was water cooled. It’s mounted and sealed up nice and I have a brand new impeller but that was a surprise to me. - The only other Outboard I’ve ever had though was a ‘61 Johnson 40. It was a beauty! But this power plant is far more advanced even though it’s 34 years old itself.

Back