Logo

Over heat signal sounded

Outakash

I have an 87 Evinrude 48 SCL on the boat I bough last year. Joe Reeves was a huge help in saving me from having a stator replaced - Thanks Joe! Well got the boat out of storage after having the carbs cleaned at the end of the season. Disposed of the old gas (which smelled bad even with the Marine Stabil in it) and put in 10 gallons of regular unleaded (without Ethanol) and mixed it 50:1 with Amsoil marine 2 cycle oil with TWC3. Also replaced the pump ball that I discovered was installed backwards (which is why it never pumped up hard - go figure) and replaced the fuel/water separator. Pumped it up, hooked up the ears, turned on the water and fired it up and it started on the second try. They start and run funny cold! Let it run on the hose for about 5 minutes but it didn't seem to be pissing very well and when I tested the water temp it was cold. About that time the alarm whistle went off and I shut it off. I used an infrared temp gun to check the engine temp (no gages) an the cylinder head was 191 and the block 176. Like I said the pisser stream seamed weak and the temp of the water fluctuated from warm to cold. Does this sound like an impeller or maybe not enough pressure from the hose. Campground water pressure is not the greatest but I've never had this issue with my 150 merc. Any ideas

When running on a flushette, the water pressure should be on full force on the higher hp engines (yours).

The thermostats open at roughly 145° so the engine will run slightly higher BUT not at the high temperatures you stated.

If it were me, I'd be checking the water pump assembly to be on the safe side.

Joe, thanks for the response. Everyone else I talked to never mentioned a thermostat. So where is the thermostat located - and when you say water pump do i understand it to be the impeller?

Joe, thanks for the response. Everyone else I talked to never mentioned a thermostat. So where is the thermostat located - and when you say water pump do i understand it to be the impeller?

A plate covers the entire cylinder head... the thermostat is under that plate at the bottom portion of it.

The impeller is what actually pumps the water. It is located within the water pump housing.

Back