Logo

Outdrive

sidebottom

Contributing Member
"trying to get the outdrive of

"trying to get the outdrive off so I can pull the engine, pulled the upper off ok but the shaft wont pull out of the splins, could it be rust, or am I missing something? any help?"

"No, you are not missing anyth

"No, you are not missing anything!

But I am unclear on this:
You were able to remove the transmission????
Do you have a drive shaft Yoke that is rusted to the PDS?
Or do you have a PDS that is rusted into the engine drive coupler splines?

Neither is good, but it can be taken apart with a little extra work!"

"Thanks Ricardo, this one is a

"Thanks Ricardo, this one is a DP drive 570 engine. can you pull the bolts from clamp ring and pull the upper trans.-yoke assy. and PDS out at the same time?"

"Ralph, not sure if we are spe

"Ralph, not sure if we are speaking the same language here.
If you are reffering to the four (4) bearing box collar bolts, yes you could, but I'd not do this!
I'd rather see you remove a bearing cross and disassemble it and remove the transmission as a unit, leaving a portion of the universal drive shaft attached to the PDS. Hopefully, the female yoke only!

BTW, this universal shaft is a $400+ item.
(Be happy to sell you one! LOL)

Then you may be able to impact the yoke FWD and AFT in order to break up the rust between IT and the PDS splines!
You can also add heat to the yoke, expanded it some..... then allow it to cool.... repeat the process a few times.

Either way, it will not be fun.

Once you get this resolved, post back. One of us can explain how the PDS is held in place, and the easiest method for removal.
Bearings/seals are very inexpensive for these and they do not need to be purchase through Volvo Penta.

."

"thanks Ricardo,we tryed remov

"thanks Ricardo,we tryed removeing the cross, but the engine is locked up and can not turn shaft to a location where we can get a hit on the cross caps"

"[b]Dynomite?[/b]<[img]"http:/

"Dynomite?
biggrin.gif

You may have to remove the engine for this, baring that the drive couple/PDS is not rusted up as well!
Some have bored a hole into the flywheel cover as to create a direct access to the splines.
From there, you can add heat and/or penetrating oils.
If the engine would turn over, and if indexed correctly, you may even be able to remove the three drive coupler-to-flywheel mounting bolts.
(however, I don't think that one is an option for you!)

You've got yourself a handfull here, my friend!

I'll bet that you will NEVER let bellows replacement go this far beyond replacement time again!
(I know.... you didn't need to hear that, did you?
uhoh.gif
)

Ralph, rest assured that this is a deferred maintenance issue only, and that you still have one of the best drives in this year range.
Hang in there..... you'll get it!

."

Back